Question on piston slap/rod knock

So it's pretty pronounced right off the bat then eh? Does it get louder at all when it warms or is it always just about that level? I'm thinking wrist pin still maybe, but definitely check what Trav said first. Also, have you tried it with the belt removed to eliminate it being from any of the accessories? Always a good troubleshooting step "just in case".
I have not tried removing the belts. If its really cold out maybe less than 30f or 20f the engine will stay quiet for maybe a minute or so if i can recall. The noise is always just about that level. The second video is with the engine warmed up a little and idled down.

i found this video on youtube of a 2000 accord with the same engine making the same noise.

Here is another video where someone is trying to diagnose a grinding noise but you can hear his engine also has the knocking sound like mine.

Also try pulling the plug wires one at a time with insulated plug wire pliers and see if the noise is reduced when one is removed. Do not do this very long, a couple of seconds is all it takes for each one.
Loosen the boots first so they remove easy, pull it off if the noise is the same put it back and do the next, if none make a difference chances are its not a rod bearing or piston pin.
If the noise is less when one is pulled at least you know the cylinder that is causing noise.

Do as Overkill suggested and pull the accessory belt first and start the engine just to see if there is any difference.

That’s precisely the same noise my old F22B2 Accord has made for 10 years and 150,000 miles. I have no idea what makes the noise, but I do know for a fact it is not in the head and it is not the balance shafts. If you find out what it is I would love to know, I am convinced it is in the block somewhere.
This.

My F22B2 made this noise for all 280K iirc and still used no oil when retired running strong to the parts yard for rust. I have heard it said that this vintage of hondas sound like sewing machines.

I don't think it's the main bearings. Those engines were known for piston slap and combustion noise. Not much one can do to mitigate the noise. Try a 5W-40 diesel oil and see if it helps a bit.

Unless I missed it, I am the only person here that has had a Honda Accord F23A4 engine exhibit the same exact symptoms that the OP described, eventually have the engine fail, disassemble the engine and discover the actual cause of the noise. Combustion noise? I would be worried if an engine did NOT make that sound.

Sounds a lot more like piston slap to me than main bearing noise. Usually main bearing noise is a more hollow, less pronounced sound (like the opposite of a rod bearing). If it's piston slap though, it should get worse when you put it under load.

I don't think it's the main bearings. Those engines were known for piston slap and combustion noise. Not much one can do to mitigate the noise. Try a 5W-40 diesel oil and see if it helps a bit.

The Cadillac N* was notorious for combustion chamber noise from carbon build up, It sounds similar to a rod when the engine is cold. A good piston soak with GM TEC cleared it up and the noise went away till next time.

I took the 99 F23 I had into the dealer for this noise when it had abt 150k. They didn’t find anything wrong and focused on the belts. I think they sprayed some conditioner on the belt but the noise persisted. I would live with it. My aunt has an 02 with 80k that she bought new.

Back