Question on getting paid.

Slightly off topic, but something to think about....
My live in a very rural area and about 4-5 years ago, a traveling carnival came to town. You know the type. They pull into town, set up their rides and sideshows, get as much money as they can for about 3 days...and then they are gone. One year, a carnie was setting up a ride and noticed that he needed some welding done on his ride. He talked to a local welder, one who has been in business for 40+ years and asked him to weld it. The welder wouldn't do it. He carnie begged him and said that he would pay the welder in cash, and no paperwork would be done. The welder still wouldn't do it, telling him that any problems that would happen 10-20 years down the road would come back to him once a lawyer became involved.
To the OP, it was nice of you to help him. I replaced a few GFCI breakers when my MIL's house needed to be up to code. But I (myself), wouldn't take any money. A nice meal or him giving you a different gift would be about as far as I'd request. But I'm not in your shoes, so have at it.

Never help a neighbor unless you do it for free. Who do you think is the first person they will call at 2 am if an outlet stops working? In 6 months or 6 years.
Won't they all the more likely call you at 2 am if they think it's going to be free? At the same time, I'd do it for free up to a point to be a good neighbor, but I've never been a position to devote 12 hours in a short span for a neighbor, always a little here, a little there.

I've helped out many people in the past. I can't think of once when they returned the favor, or were even able to "pay it forward". So, don't ask for that.

That's why I suggested a nice meal out. If it's two married couples, it could cement a friendship that lasts and help prevent any future squabbles.
I recently borrowed a neigbour's truck to haul some chairs. Drove it maybe 10 miles. Filled the tank when I was done.

A couple of days later (he was out of town) I found a major leak in his irrigation system (spilling about a pail of water every 10 seconds) and shut the water off to that zone before too much erosion occurred or city water was lost. He was pretty happy that I found it.

That's what neighbours do.

Last time I had my handy neighbor across the street to come over and assist with changing out a programmable thermostat that he had to hard wire. He would not take no cash. I offered to wash and wax his wifes new Jeep Compass back in 2020. She was elated and he was pretty happy himself. Does not always have to be about cash.

I'm helping my next door neighbor with installing a new panel box and we replaced all the outlets in the house, about 30 of them. Been there for two days now about 12 hours total and will be there probably another 5hrs tomorrow to finish up the box. It is in a bad location behind the water heater inside a closet with the AC. I know that is not within code but it is an old house. I'm just a helper with general knowledge. He asked what I wanted to help him. I don't have a clue what to ask for and I don't know what he charged for the job. Suggestions? Thanks.
Are you in a high-dollar gated community? Neighbor's a big deal CEO? Ages of you and neighbor? Likelihood neighbor can/will return the favor in the future? 1. Don't worry about it, you'll return the favor when I need help. 2. A full dinner at Longhorn Steakhouse. 3. $200/300/400 depending on answers to the questions.

I always feel uncomfortable when a neighbor offers cash for help. I initially always refuse it unless they get angry.

I always feel uncomfortable when a neighbor offers cash for help. I initially always refuse it unless they get angry.
He was helping his neighbor at a job site(not the neighbors house).. appears this was missed from many of the replies.

Now if the OP needs any electrical done or a car charger wired up....

If I understand this correctly, you were helping a contractor or electrician on a hired job of his. He basically hired you for the job so I really anticipate him offering you a fair hourly wage, not ask you what you want. I mean, it might be "Hey, is $20/hour cash okay ? You worked about X hours so here's the cash." I just picked $20/hour as a number, by the way.

I help good friends and neighbors pretty often. All of whom are trustworthy individuals and want the help. I never expect anything. Usually payment is with bourbon, beer or gift cards.

Just last week I replaced a bumper on a good friend’s Jeep Wrangler. I got 2 - 12 packs of Killians and a $25 Papa Murphy’s gift card. Honestly if I didn’t want to help I would tell them so.

Just my $0.02

I help good friends and neighbors pretty often. All of whom are trustworthy individuals and want the help. I never expect anything. Usually payment is with bourbon, beer or gift cards.

Just last week I replaced a bumper on a good friend’s Jeep Wrangler. I got 2 - 12 packs of Killians and a $25 Papa Murphy’s gift card. Honestly if I didn’t want to help I would tell them so.

Just my $0.02
(y)

Since most missed it here as @Rand pointed out, he is an electrician and you helped him in the job. $400 cash for 2 days of work would be my bare minimum. If it was an employee, the wage, payroll taxes, workers comp and benefits would be more than that.

I didn’t look at OPs location but I’m still at $400, and would say $600 if it were in the St. Louis area. Concrete laborers and finishers usually want $300-$350/day for helping on a side job and electricians charge way more than concrete work.

Back