Question on battery health, new-ish Subaru Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please double check my thinking here:

Part I:
I have an elderly neighbor who doesn't drive his car much. I've been trying to drive it for him once a week or two for a few months, have gone over it. 2016 Subaru Outback Limited. Nice car.

Today it was in the high '20s overnight and the am, and he was paranoid because his trickle charger broke a few weeks ago. He was scared he'd be stranded. I started it to show him not to worry. Before I started it I checked the Voltage - 11.9V. I was a little surprised. He said this was the 3rd battery in the vehicle; I checked the manu. date and it was 11/8, so it's not old. I drove the car in october several hundred miles to run out the old gas, put in new and some Techron and stabilizer before winter. Battery should have had near a full charge a few weeks ago - but maybe not.

Sitting 2 weeks, unattended, dropped below freezing a few times: 11.9V
Start car, run 15 minutes, charging at 14.4v (but at idle, not full alt. output): 13.0V
Leave interior dome light on 5 minutes to take off surface charge: 12.4V

I'm wondering if this is acceptable; granted I did not fully charge it. I don't know why he's on his 3rd battery - maybe just sitting in the past. I want to make sure there's no parasitic draw going on. It's out of warranty but he has an extended one, so I can take it to get it checked if I need.

My Plan: hook it up to rapid charger for calculated time get to 100%, let it sit overnight and check Voltage again.

Part II:
He had one of those ubiquitous DelTran trickles which failed. I've had reasonable service w/them over the years, but they do fail. Any better mousetrap on the market now, or get another one?

Originally Posted by Oro_O
He had one of those ubiquitous DelTran trickles which failed. I've had reasonable service w/them over the years, but they do fail. Any better mousetrap on the market now, or get another one?

I think you need a maintainer, not a trickle charger. https://www.amazon.com/BatteryMINDe...hy=9007783&hvtargid=pla-593359000514 A maintainer exercises the battery, not just charges. And once a month would be enough driving it.

Originally Posted by atikovi

I think you need a maintainer, not a trickle charger.

Ah, good point. I understand the difference. Is that a good brand/model? Amazon feedback let's pretty darn good, so I guess so.

The car is out most of the time in weather. The parking are is framed by rr ties. I thought I'd screw down a water tight container and put the device in it, then RTV the screw holes and wire entry/exit, make it more protected than the bag he was using.

Originally Posted by Oro_O

Ah, good point. I understand the difference. Is that a good brand/model?

The car is out most of the time in weather. The parking are is framed by rr ties. I thought I'd screw down a water tight container and put the device in it, then RTV the screw holes and wire entry/exit, make it more protected than the bag he was using.

I have 5 or 6 of the 1510 in that link. Posted here a few weeks ago about my 2 year old NAPA battery that NAPA tested as being bad only putting out 150 CCA. Put it on the maintainer for a week and it conditioned the battery and it's putting out over the 800 CCAs it's rated at. Just put the clamps on the battery and tuck it somewhere under the hood (it's the size of a deck of cards) and connect an extension cord to it. Don't need any container or bag.

Put it on the maintainer for a week and it conditioned the battery and it's putting out over the 800 CCAs it's rated at. Just put the clamps on the battery and tuck it somewhere under the hood (it's the size of a deck of cards) and connect an extension cord to it. Don't need any container or bag.
[/quote]

Good info. I've already sent him the link and I'll tell him to go with that one. I'll not bother rapid charging the battery and just hook that up in a few days. Thanks a lot, you guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back