Question on 3 motorcycle oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
If a person had a new or newer motorcyle/UTV/powersport and had to pick between 3 of the most common full syn oils off the shelf..

Mobil 1 4T- API SN
Castrol Power1- API SL
Valvoline 4 Stroke Syn- API SJ

Do API ratings not matter to modern 4 strokes..with fuel injection, catalytic converters, etc etc...

there is more to it than that.

what is your inteneded oci?

what is your price point per oci?

what oil filter are you using?

better yet, what air filter are you using and its ci?

what conditions for both air and oil?

without these answer your question is meaningless. the answer maybe NONE of them

steve

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
Do API ratings not matter to modern 4 strokes..with fuel injection, catalytic converters, etc etc...

Of course they matter. What does the manual say? Pick the cheapest oil that meets spec.

most full synthetics are better buy mostly group fake synthetic base oils! as noted a lot depends on what your using it in as a big V-twin or high powered sport bike with shared oil supply aka engine + tranny requires real synthetic oil or very short change intervals!! i found that spectro platinum a real synthetic PAO is an excellent oil, but not cheap! i chose them for their 15-50 that works in my 3 bikes.

My question is related to below..

According to api.org

SN Current Introduced in October 2010, designed to provide improved high temperature deposit protection for pistons, more stringent sludge control, and seal compatibility. API SN with Resource Conserving matches ILSAC GF-5 by combining API SN performance with improved fuel economy, turbocharger protection, emission control system compatibility, and protection of engines operating on ethanol-containing fuels up to E85.

SM Current For 2010 and older automotive engines
SL Current For 2004 and older automotive engines.

SJ Current For 2001 and older automotive engines.

i know the reference is for automobile engines... i just would have thought the demands for a high revving, high performance 4 stroke engine would demand what SN says it offers.

Originally Posted by Silverado12
FWIW I use non-syn Valvoline VR-1 20W-50 in my Harley Twin Cam and it does OK. What do you ride?

VR1 is 'for use in engines where SN is recommended' so according to API you are in tip top shape.

I have a 2019 RZR Turbo, but i service a Harley, a Victory and a Yamaha R1.. along with a few others like CanAM and Kawaski.

I have given up recommending oils..each guy has their own thing.. most will not dare veer off of OEM oils.. so i was always curious reading the various bottles..then i saw whats available and didnt understand how a 2001 and older API spec was a good thing for a 2018-19 engine.

If a person had a new or newer motorcyle/UTV/powersport and had to pick between 3 of the most common full syn oils off the shelf..

Mobil 1 4T- API SN
Castrol Power1- API SL

My real-life experience shows a nominal 5,000 mile oci on a strong inline 4 (145 hp, 87 ft/lbs, ZRX1200 in modded form) with a shared sump that Mobil 1 10w40 4T holds up really well. It starts as a very low 40 weight relative to those other two, and barely dropped out of grade. Shift quality remained high and I really believe the zinc/phosphorus content in the Mobil MC specific oil is a benefit as it is higher than the other two from what I have seen. To hold up that well viscosity-wise in a 10w40 tells me their base oil must have some ester in it from my understanding of things. And TBN was 6.4, the oil was barely used from that perspective after 5,000 miles.

Technically speaking anyone of the 3 brands will meet and exceed your mileage expectations...

API oil guide states SN SL and SJ are current but none are motorcycle specific...

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by BusyLittleShop
Technically speaking anyone of the 3 brands will meet and exceed your mileage expectations...

API oil guide states SN SL and SJ are current but none are motorcycle specific...

[Linked Image]

Motorcycle Specific means wet clutch i assume? JASO specs trump API?

On UTVs which are basically just modern 4 stroke engines with fuel injection, catalytic converters.. SN would be more favorable than SJ/SL correct?

Motorcycle Specific means wet clutch i assume? JASO specs trump API?

The holy trinity of science is 1)Reason 2)Observation 3)Experience...
employing those tools we observe that the primary cause clutch slip
are high mileage... mileage is the constant among all of the clutches
that begin to slip... oil choice whether JASO approved or not is not a
constant... High mileage is the constant where all clutches begin to
loose grip due to normal glazing and contaminates that build up over use...

On UTVs which are basically just modern 4 stroke engines with fuel injection, catalytic converters.. SN would be more favorable than SJ/SL correct?

API SN oil would favor your cat... if you can't find a motorcycle specific SN a suitable alternative would be Auto SN...

Like it states in my profile... I'm using auto oil SN in my homolgated
race bike with a tall first gear good for 90mph... I literally
incinerate my clutch in WFO launches on the street or track... I don't
ride in moderation and yet no clutch slip issues due to oil... so
because of low cost and high availability I pick Mobil 1 5w30 SN but
any SN auto 30 grade will do...

Because Mobil owns 80% of the market they offer many 30 grades... I only know about the SN marked YES...
[Linked Image]

Last edited:

Mobil 1 4T- API SN
Castrol Power1- API SL

I would choose the oil the manufacturer recommended. I would suspect that recommendation would be for the API SL or SJ.
For me, its CH4+ or higher on my 14 Road King and that is what I use. Who cares about F.I. Catalytic converters, etc, etc, its over thinking a non issue except what the manufacturer recommends for the proper rated oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back