question on 2001 F250

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2001 F250 with the V10. Manual calls for 5W-20. I checked 3 stores and could not find that type anywhere- (I did switch over to synthetic)- I did find 5W-30 however- Would I be doing the engine an harm by using this?

Check the Used Oil Analysis section. There's a great report on a V-10 using the Motorcraft 5W20. You can get it at WalMart or Autozone. If you like synthetic, Mobil makes a 0W20 Mobil1 that meets ford specs.

John

Thanks for the reply- I checked over there and to be honest I am not sure what all the tech terms really mean. I just want to know if I am causing my engine any harm and should I keep looking and switch over to the 5W 20

I've got a 97 F150 with the 4.6. I've used both 5w30 and 5w20 as Ford now recommends the 5W20 for some of the previous models. I'm not sure what some of the numbers mean either. But if you're concerned about warranty issues, I'd stick with the Motorcraft 5W20.

I feel safe using either. When I use 5W30, I use Mobil1 and if it's 5W20, it's Motorcraft, Pennzoil, or Chevron Supreme. When using those I change at 3,000. If using Mobil1 I extend to 5,000.

John

Every WalMart I've ever been in has 5-20 since last year...why so difficult to find?

They (Walmart) carries 5/20 in regular brand- I switched over to synthetic and was told not to go back over.

It won't hurt. The 5W20's are synthetic blends anyway. Motorcraft says so on the bottle. I'm sure if you read up on these boards, you'll become knowledgable about more stuff than you ever thought you'd want to know.

That is debunking a big myth - You can switch from Dino to Syn and Back and forth as long as you want. There is no reason you can't. But if you like syn's better, stay with them. Try the Mobil1 0W20, if you want a Ford Approved w20 oil.

John

quote:

Originally posted by skinut2234:
They (Walmart) carries 5/20 in regular brand- I switched over to synthetic and was told not to go back over.

This is a nothing but a myth (BS). However, I think all of the 5w-20 oils you'll find will be synthetic blends. Don't be worried about switching back to and from synthetic oils.

I'd like to say
welcome.gif
. Spend some time around here and you'll find a plethora of information regarding lubrication.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back