QUESTION ON 04 Trailblazer 4x4

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife bought a new 04 Trailblazer 4x4 in May. I was looking through the owners manual and noticed that it came from the factory with 75-90 wt. Synthetic gear oil in both front & rear ends.

Question, does anyone know what brand of synthetic General Motor uses?

I think that texaco makes GM gear lube.
dunno.gif

Exactly what I am looking for - Texaco 2276 gear oil. Where can I buy some in the D-FW area?

After searching around for a readily available substitute for the $20-30 a QUART (!) GM synthetic gear oil, I drained it yesterday and put in Royal Purple Max Gear 75W-90 in the locking dif in my 2002 Trailblazer.

I emailed both Amsoil and Royal Purple. Amsoil replied back theirs would be fine to use, but at the bottom was a legal disclaimer " AMSOIL Inc. makes no warranty, guaranty or promise (express or implied) concerning the accuracy of our e-mail response as it is based solely on the information provided to us by the e-mail originator." That did not instill much confidence in the product.

Royal Purple, on the other hand, stated with no reservations, "Our Max Gear 75w90 meets and exceeds that GM spec. Thanks Royal Purple Ltd."

What really got my attention was the smell of the old oil coming out - like concentrated GRAPE drink! Is that what the "GM spec" is? having an easy way to ID synthetic oil - by smell?

The only thing I asked both companies was, does your gear oil meet GM's spec., so there was little to misinterpret. The way I took the Amsoil response was, we think it SHOULD be OK but don’t blame us for telling you that if you have a problem. Anyway, yes I understand the CYA part, and it’s a done deal now.

I did use Amsoil products in my ’82 Mustang GT I used to own and had excellent results with the “Traction Lock” differential it had. Was even a dealer for a while. But there are other, more readily available choices nowadays.

quote:

" AMSOIL Inc. makes no warranty, guaranty or promise (express or implied) concerning the accuracy of our e-mail response as it is based solely on the information provided to us by the e-mail originator." That did not instill much confidence in the product.

This statement is simply a disclaimer their lawyers had them put into the responses (and now being used by many companies due to non-tort reform). Meaning - "We provide the best response possible based on the information furnished by the questioner. We have no control on the accuracy of the information provided by the user, nor any control on how the end user will apply the product."

So don't take that statement as being anything other than a CYA response in legaleeze. It has nothing to do with the product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back