Question: kohler cv15s oil question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay so 8 weeks ago I change the oil with 5w 30 dino. I also installed a new carb because it was surging up and down (it solved that problem). At the time I noticed the valve cover was leaking and had my engine caked with oil and mud. Which leads me to believe that it was leaking for years. Yesterday day I removed the valve cover cleaned up both mating surfaces with fine grit sand paper. I then cleaned the cover and the valve/rocker cavity with fresh paint thinner then dryed everything. I installed cover Honda liquid gasket. Torqued all the bolts and let sit for 24 hours. This morning I thoroughly cleaned the engine with CRC engine cleaner and rinse. Started up and ran Fricken awesome and so much more quiet.

My question, the oil has about 16 to 20 hrs on it. Should I change the oil? Could it be contaminated in some way.
This is a 12 yr new engine in a trusty Kubota T1670. Love the machine!!
I normally change oil and filter in the Spring of every year (probably 65 to 70 hours).

I would change the oil just because of the sandpaper use. I stick with 3M pads just to keep the abrasives out of the engine's internals.

Originally Posted By: crainholio
I would change the oil just because of the sandpaper use. I stick with 3M pads just to keep the abrasives out of the engine's internals.

Are you talking about the 3M pads that look like a scouring pad? Cause I am pretty sure they too have abrasive particles inbedded in the pad.

Okay I didn't think of that. I did pack clean rags in the valve cavity before sanding then swabed with paint thinner then dried the whole thing. But I will change the oil before I use it again. Good advice.

Last edited:
I'd change it for the sandpaper reason as well as chunks of liquid gasket possibly getting in there. Oil is cheap and never hurts to be safe than sorry. Those Kohler CV15 engines are good engines.

Change it, why take a chance, if something happens down the road, you'll always wonder if an oil change might have prevented it. You close on hours anyway, for me that is, so go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back