Question for those of you who stream TV

I have a question for those of you who stream your TV programs. Whenever I do a search for a particular movie or show, it only brings up those I have to rent or buy. It never brings up those that are available in the apps I already have. I've even done searches for those I know are available in my current apps, but it still only pulls up the ones that have to be rented or purchased. Is there a way to search only in the apps I already have? Also, is it possible to do a search for a show or movie that may air sometime in the near future? This is another media device that doesn't come with any instructions (like cell phones) and probably should...

Comment

What device are you using? Google TV (Android) will allow you to search within apps you subscribe to.

There's an app that I use for this kind of thing.

Reelgood
iOS/iPadOS
Android

You tell it what services you subscribe to, then when you search for a show or movie, it will show those plus where you can rent/buy it.

Well maybe I'm not hip to the lingo, but doesn't steaming mean watching movies over the internet from a service provider?
Yes, however, service provider is not Xfinity, Verizon, etc. It is Hulu, Netflix, HBOMax.

There isn't a program schedule, usually. The Roku channel that is built into Roku devices is an exception.

Yes, however, service provider is not Xfinity, Verizon, etc. It is Hulu, Netflix, HBOMax.

There isn't a program schedule, usually. The Roku channel that is built into Roku devices is an exception.
Well yes, but generally a streaming service means programming on demand rather than on a fixed schedule.
Well then, there must be a list of what's available, no? If I want to watch the Beverly Hillbillies, how do i find it?

Well then, there must be a list of what's available, no? If I want to watch the Beverly Hillbillies, how do i find it?
Assuming your search tool on the device is capable of searching all installed apps (Android TV does it, like someone else mentioned...I'm sure others too but I've always exclusively stuck to Android TV), you just punch in the show you want and the results will populate and tell you where and if it's free, for rent, for purchase, etc.

If you're searching for recently released movies, you're basically have to pay for it. An example is , say Top Gun - Maverick. All services may show the movies as available for rent or buy. Let's face it, it's become part of the box office take now.
Older movies can be had pretty readily for free though.

Only way to get rather new movies via streaming would be through some pirate apps, which can then cast to your TV. Not that I've ever done that.

Beverly Hillbillies is available on Roku, and the best way to find it is by using the voice search feature.
Little known fact. Roku can be used instead of a cable box for Spectrum (and others). It does verify your subscription though, but you can save the box rental fee.

Assuming your search tool on the device is capable of searching all installed apps (Android TV does it, like someone else mentioned...I'm sure others too but I've always exclusively stuck to Android TV), you just punch in the show you want and the results will populate and tell you where and if it's free, for rent, for purchase, etc.
Beverly Hillbillies is available on Roku, and the best way to find it is by using the voice search feature.
Little known fact. Roku can be used instead of a cable box for Spectrum (and others). It does verify your subscription though, but you can save the box rental fee.
This assumes I know what I want to watch, but I can't remember all the movies and TV shows ever made. None of these sites have a content directory to browse in? Like the TV Guide.

If you're searching for recently released movies, you're basically have to pay for it. An example is , say Top Gun - Maverick. All services may show the movies as available for rent or buy. Let's face it, it's become part of the box office take now.
Older movies can be had pretty readily for free though.

Only way to get rather new movies via streaming would be through some pirate apps, which can then cast to your TV. Not that I've ever done that.
Every year around this time we start searching for the most popular Christmas movies, but they only seem to be available for rent or purchase. I don't know why the pay apps, such as Netflix, Hulu, Prime, ect don't have these movies available for their subscribers without having to rent or purchase them...

I don't know what you mean by "streaming services, but our living room TV uses a Roku, and our bedroom TV uses a Firestick...
Hulu? Netflix? HBOMax?

The Roku and the Firestick are like "cable boxes" in that they are the hardware you need to access the information. Hulu, Netflix and HBOMax are like the channels ABC, NBC, etc.

Back