Question for the railroad buffs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was couch ridden with a cold last night, so I dug out my dvd of "silver streak" to keep me busy, one of my richard pryor favorites (ironically, the female lead jill clayburgh passed on today). What type and configuration of diesel powered that loco, and what kind of power did it make? I always love watching it chug along at full speed ahead with exhaust punching out the top.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075223/trivia

The locomotive used as "AM ROAD"'s 4070, was actually CP Rail's (formerly Canadian Pacific) 4070. For the filming, the AM ROAD decal was placed over the CP markings and "Multimark" pac-man logo. At the end on the shoot, the decals actually damaged the engines real paint job. The production company had to pay for the repainting of the engine, which took place in the CP Rail Transcona shops in Winnipeg Manitoba. The locomotive is a FP7A built by GMD in 1952. In 1982, CP sold it to STCUM, where it was re-numbered to 1300 in 1983. As of 2002, she is now sitting in "non-operational" storage in Montreal.

Originally Posted By: cbear

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075223/trivia

The locomotive used as "AM ROAD"'s 4070, was actually CP Rail's (formerly Canadian Pacific) 4070. For the filming, the AM ROAD decal was placed over the CP markings and "Multimark" pac-man logo. At the end on the shoot, the decals actually damaged the engines real paint job. The production company had to pay for the repainting of the engine, which took place in the CP Rail Transcona shops in Winnipeg Manitoba. The locomotive is a FP7A built by GMD in 1952. In 1982, CP sold it to STCUM, where it was re-numbered to 1300 in 1983. As of 2002, she is now sitting in "non-operational" storage in Montreal.
Thanks. Were you just quoting, or are you a train enthusiast? I'd love to know operating rpm's, and what kind of power was available at the flywheel (if they bother with one on an engine that big.).

Originally Posted By: cbear

In 1982, CP sold it to STCUM, where it was re-numbered to 1300 in 1983. As of 2002, she is now sitting in "non-operational" storage in Montreal.

I didn't know that. I probably have pics of that engine in Montreal commuter service back in 1993. I'll have to check my slides.

An FP7 made 1500HP if I remember right. A steam boiler in the rear of the locomotive provided heat for use in passenger service. Builder GMD was, by the way, the Canadian subsidiary of General Motors' Electro-Motive Division, which for decades was the biggest locomotive builder in North America.

I worked at GM Electromotive for 7 years.
They are 2 stroke diesels, with exhaust valves. A 'Detroit' diesel.
Noisy and filthy. Limited RPM range, But that is OK in their application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back