Question for Audi, Mercedes, BMW, Volkswagon owners.

I'm looking for a 5W-30 ACEA A3/B4 oil in the US.

2 such oils available on Amazon are:
Redline Full Synthetic 5W-30 4 quart jug - available on Amazon for $56.
Castrol Edge 5W-30 A3/B4 5 quart jug - available on Amazon for $28.

Some disadvantages of Redline (Group 5 Esther based oil).
There are posts on BITOG about oil leaks in engines beginning right after an oil change with Redline.
Also, for any vehicle which has short trips, the Esther accumulates moisture and become acidic and harmful to an engine.

Some disadvantages of the Castrol Edge:
It's specs are ancient: API SL, ACEA A3/B4, BMW Longlife-01, MB-Approval 229.5, Volkswagen 505 00/ 502 00
Its seems like these specs are from the early 2000's. Trying to understand if this oil is so badly obsolete the only thing going for it is HTHS > 3.5,
but perhaps its certifications are cerca 2004?
. It's ACEA A3/B4 might not be the the new one: ACEA A3/B4-16 (corresponding to the year 2016), but could be the 2004 spec? It's unknown.

Does anyone have any knowledge on why the Castrol Edge 5W-30 A3/B4 oil (made in Austria) on Amazon in the US has such ancient specs,
and is so cheap and available on Amazon for $28 as an ACEA A3/B4 oil?

Are there any other ACEA A3/B4 oils that are available in the US that anyone can suggest.

Thanks

While the specs may have been around a long time, they are still valid today. 229.5 is one of the most protective oils around, even today. If you want to protect your engine, you can't beat these oils. If you are trying to squeeze the last 10th of a mile out of a gal of gas, they are not for you.

API licenses are truly irrelevant for European specification oils so that doesn't mean a thing.

BMW Longlife-01 approval requirements have been updated several times since 2001. Just because the number hasn't changed doesn't mean it is an "ancient spec". It is a modern approval with modern requirements. This is also true for ACEA sequences.

Your whole postulate is invalid here along with the "badly obsolete" statement. You are very mistaken on what an approval or an ACEA sequence involves or means.

And why do you care about grade when discussing oils that have a minimum HT/HS?

Yes, perhaps I chose a poor choice of words "badly obsolete". Apologies.
Its for a 2006 Audi A3, just wanted to understand if the $28 for 5 quart jug on Amazon of Castrol Edge 5W-30 A3/B4 oil (made in Austria)
is ok with the specs it has: API SL, ACEA A3/B4, BMW Longlife-01, MB-Approval 229.5, Volkswagen 505 00/ 502 00
or would it be better to find a similar oil with newer specs, and if so, what would be some recommendations? That's all I'm asking...

Also, are there any oils that meet the European Acea A3/B4 specs that are also high mileage oils that treat the oil seals? I can't seem to find any.

Last edited:
If your Audi specs VW/Audi 502.00, then there is nothing wrong at all with the Castrol Edge A3/B4 5W-30. I use it often.

Mobil 1 0W-40 also has VW 502.00, and it is often available at Walmart for similar pricing. It is an excellent choice as well.

Pennzoil and Quaker State both have A3/B4 oils which can be found easily.
LiquiMoly can be found at NAPA stores.
Online parts houses stock LiquiMoly, Pentosin, Ravenol, etc.
Euro dealerships will have it.

Shopping only ACEA is okay, but not ideal as the euros develop their own specs off ACEA. It's always better to shop off the automaker cert.

ACEA is self-certify by the formulator. Typically if it meets an older spec it will stat such (ex. ACEA A3/B4 - 16). Of course you can also look at the API spec. For example API SN+ with A3/B4 would most likely be more current compared to API SL with A3/B4

A3/B4 oils contain the following Euro certs: Porsche A40, BMW LL01, Mercedes Benz 229.50, VW/AUDI 505

Last edited:
Thanks for all the great responses with oil suggestions. I'll research them.

Is it possible to find an Acea A3/B4 which also is a high mileage oil that treats oil seals?
I can't seem to find one.

Thanks for all the great responses with oil suggestions. I'll research them.

Is it possible to find an Acea A3/B4 which also is a high mileage oil that treats oil seals?
I can't seem to find one.
Oils with higher amounts of esters. Mobil 1, Redline, Ravenol REP/RUP, HPL (site sponsor). Otherwise all of these euro oils are seal compatible. The best rule of thumb obviously is just replace the seals/gaskets when they start leaking.

I'm not aware of an euro oils which are marketed as HM.

Mobil 1 High Mileage 10w-30 and 10w-40 and Edge High Mileage 10w-40 once had A3 specs, but I am not sure about current products.

Its for a 2006 Audi A3, just wanted to understand if the $28 for 5 quart jug on Amazon of Castrol Edge 5W-30 A3/B4 oil (made in Austria)
is ok with the specs it has: API SL, ACEA A3/B4, BMW Longlife-01, MB-Approval 229.5, Volkswagen 505 00/ 502 00
or would it be better to find a similar oil with newer specs, and if so, what would be some recommendations? That's all I'm asking...
So you're asking if an oil that carries the approval required by the automaker is ok?

And what is a similar "spec" to the VW approvals you list? Are you asking about 504 00?

I still am unsure about the whole "newer specs" thing.

Some disadvantages of Redline (Group 5 Esther based oil).

Redline synthetic oils are major PAO with 'some' ester.

For a 2006 Audi A3 8P (2.0 TFSI EA113?) use ANY oil with a VW 504 00
approval, alternatively with VW 511 00. If you'd ask me if these are
probably superior to VW 502 00 - yes, I think they are. When I owned
a GTI with the same EA113 engine I was using M1 ESP formula 5W-30.

Which oils actually carry that approval?

NO warranty use whatever, BUT depending on your engine, stock or not, turbo or V-6 + how you drive + of course what you are willing to spend all effect your oil choice. my hotted 2001 TT gets redline 15-50 + or 15-50 with its small 4.25 sump + loose 1.8T engine, my traded at 200 thou running great 1.8T 2001 jetta 1.8T also hotted got real synthetic 10-30 since new, your $$$$ + choice!!

I wonder what made RL switch from ester to pao? Profit margin I imagine. Back when I first discovered RL, they had a huge blurb on their website that said "ESTER BASE".

Back