Question for a friend.. 91 Merc-oil burning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy Holidays to everyone!!!

I'm asking this question for a friend who's having trouble with his car...

--Car: 1991 Mercedes E190 with the 4-cyl.
--has 117000 miles.--uses 1 qt. per 500 miles! no big leaks, just burns!(he SUSPECTS a MINOR leak)
--oil he used: Valvoline Maxlife 10/30 with Fram filter.
--he drives 150 miles per day.

What can he do best to prevent this oil consumption?
(I already suggested Pennzoil LL 15/40 with a Bosch filter, and to check the PCV valve, but wanted to know what you guys think...)

Any comments are very welcome; thanks.

Burning 1 quart of oil in 500 miles is terrible! I agree that Pennzoil Long Life 15W-40 should help reduce oil usage. I would also suggest using AutoRx at the same time. If using a 15W-40 oil and or using AutoRx doesn't help much then I would suggest using a 20W-50 oil. 20W-50 is very thick however for such a high rate of oil consumption I would use it if the 15W-40 does not cut his oil consumption to less than 1 quart per 1,000 miles.

Any API SL/CI-4 15W-40 "diesel" oil should help to clean out any crud in the motor. However it may be necesary to change the oil filter or even the oil and filter after about 1,500 miles if this engine has been neglected and has a lot of sludge or varnish build-up. After the second oil change with an API SL/CI-4 oil he should be able to go 5,000 miles or longer between oil changes.

[ December 26, 2003, 10:26 AM: Message edited by: Sin City ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back