Question - can you just stand by while...........

Status
Not open for further replies.
At a service station, a motorist puts the cheapest service station brand oil in a very new Subaru GT turbo ?

I couldn't either, but he wasn't interested, his car, his money.

The real question is how regularly do you try to help out, and how many success stories have you had ?

Three oil sections in supermarkets I've offered advice to obviously confused people, and had thankyous, and they walked off with a good choice.

Another time, I saw a guy put 12 litres of oil in his Mitsubishi - he was checking the oil level through the fill cap, not with the dipstick.

Apparently this guy had been driving cars since before I was born (well that's what he told me). Looked like the James Bond Lotus with the smoke machine on as he rattled off the driveway.

Unless I know the person, I never give oil advice. Otherwise I'd never get out of Walmart, I'd be warning every Fram oil filter buyer of how terrible their build quality is!

I gave up a long time ago. Even in auto parts stores most people don't care about what oil they are using. There are two groups, first is price only and second is, "I have been using this brand for years and never had a problem"

Giveing out automotive advice is useless unless the person apraochs you! IT is just like giveing out exercise advice! If it is unsolicited it goes in one ear and out the other. Just grit your teeth together and keep on walking. As a Tech. it pains me to here people giveing out bad advice at the parts store but it happens.

JB nailed it. Like most things in life, to really learn, listen, change - YOU must be ready and open. So it's the rare dummy just standin' in the store aisle gawkin' that's gonna listen to a stranger.....

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
Giveing out automotive advice is useless unless the person apraochs you! IT is just like giveing out exercise advice! If it is unsolicited it goes in one ear and out the other. Just grit your teeth together and keep on walking.

Right. My farmer neighbors have tons of really expensive tractors and equipment. Everytime I stop by one of their places I cringe seeing Fram filters on things and no name oil containers everywhere.

No point in bringing it up to them though. They always get the "deer in the headlights" look when I mention anything...

I almost gave up trying to help my friends for the most part. Most folks care about oil filters and what not the way I worry about who makes the bottle cap on a bottle of soda.

I used to manage one of the auto parts chains, and probably 2/3 of the people that would ask me a question wouldnt listen to my advice. Even when I would explain WHY they need to do something a certain way, they just didnt want to hear it. True, a lot of people working in stores like that shouldnt be giving advice, but when an ASE certified manager of a store is giving a detailed explanation, you'd think they would listen. I know I would.

Unsolicited advice on ANY subject is about as welcome as Jehovah's Witness, Christian Science, or Mormon canvassers interrupting a hot NFL broadcast on Sunday morning. (especially if ya' got $50.00 riding on the point spread...
smile.gif
) Here's a little unsolicited advice to grow on: as long as other people's cherished opinions don't harm YOU, then leave 'em the h-e-l-l in peace. No one likes to feel they're being patronized.

[ August 09, 2003, 02:57 PM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

i sold my old mercedes band with hundreds of thousands of miles on it to a fellow. i seen him the other day and happen to ask how the days doing.
he said its running fine and he changes the oil every 2000 miles. i asked what kinda oil he uses and he said "the thick stuff".

so i inquired weither or not hes using diesel oil and he said "no this isnt a tractor trailer its a car so i put car oil in it".
i then showed him a quart bottle of DELO i had in the trunk and mentioned that he would probably be better off using this stuff instead of havoline car oil.

this guy was totally perplexed at the thought of using DIESEL OIL in a car that has a DIESEL engine. but none the less he said it seems to make sence and that next time he changes the oil he'll use some diesel type oil.

it just goes to show the quality of a german car, that old benz is still kickin around with more miles on the dead odometer than most of you will ever see. its never had any work done to it at all. not even a valve adjustment. the body rusting apart everywhere, theres holes in the floor bigger than my head, but it starts right up every morning he said.

I know this will sound cynical, but I used to try and help. But now I just dont let on I know anything about cars. Most people are blissful in their ignorance, so why take them out of it.

Stupidity costs, so why not let the stupid pay for it.....?????

Dan

I used to sell auto parts for csk. Many times a customer would walk up to the register with sb non-det oil.

I would ask them what it was for and if it was for a car I would tell them to get the detergent stuff. Usually they got the house brand but atleast it carried the latest api rating at the time.

Usually they were thankfull and listened to my advice.

Couple of weeks ago I was at A-Zone. Guy ahead of me had 5 qts of Valvoline 5-30 and a Fram filter. I kept quiet.

I still shivver from seeing that!

hey guys i just had a thought. atleast these people buying junk stuff are actually taking the time to TRY. you gotta give em credit, i mean theres loads of people out there who just change their oil whenever they feel like it, somtimes never.

so those guys changing their oil with non detergent oil, thats provbably better than never changing their oil at all.

If someone asks me, sure, I'll give advice. The only people with which I would stop a conversation short are those guys who want to argue with me after giving advice. I mean, you asked me didn't you???

I have been in Autozone or Walmart and most of the people that ask advice of me are women (I mean, I don't even have that little blue coat or red and white badge); mostly college age girls, or single moms (yes I once took a poll). Some are married will say something like, "My husband said I needed to get him some..., and he needs it right away cause he's working on such and such)." And maybe its just because I'm 6'3" and can reach the top shelf. Who knows!
shocked.gif
grin.gif

Shannow;
Service station oils and turbo Subarus don't mix?
You drive into a Shell gas station and you get shell oil. Chevron gas stations sell Chevron oil and so on.
I asked my brother what he uses in his WRX. He replied "Subaru oil".
Darwin award!

I'm a firm believer in that old joke:

You can always tell a [insert nationality of person you want to zing here]... they may not listen, but you can always tell 'em.
rolleyes.gif
wink.gif

Lighten-up guys, at least the cars are getting oil. The folks that believe the oil light is what tells them it needs oil are the ones that scare me.
freak2.gif

[ August 10, 2003, 09:24 PM: Message edited by: Rick in PA ]

I spend a lot of time in the wally world auto dept while the wife shops so I do get a question now and again. I ask what make, model, year, etc vehicle and try to give good advice. I never give it unless its asked, you never know if the person will take offense.

quote:

Originally posted by userfriendly:
Shannow;
Service station oils and turbo Subarus don't mix?
You drive into a Shell gas station and you get shell oil. Chevron gas stations sell Chevron oil and so on.
I asked my brother what he uses in his WRX. He replied "Subaru oil".
Darwin award!

I'll refer back to my original post on this, I was not dissing Shell, or any such.

quote:

At a service station, a motorist puts the cheapest service station brand oil in a very new Subaru GT turbo ?

They have 4 or 5 different oils on display, and the cheapest is an SH 20W-50. That was my point. There were many better oils for a turbo engine.

BTW, why do you keep referring to the Darwin Award, when it's in another forum ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back