question about using mobil1 extended

Status
Not open for further replies.
i went to summit racing for redline oil and they only had 2 quarts of 5-30 so i picked up 2 jugs of mobil 1 5-30 extended to use in my 2 twin turbo stealths. although this is basically a winter storage oil should i get some zddp additive. i see summit racing has a couple of different brands of this. i cannot find any info on zddp in mobil 1 5-30 extended oil. the jugs states meets slm,n and bc 4 and 5 so what do you folks think about the mobil1 5-30 extended oil??? thanks

I wouldn't have worried about it enough to get M1 EP just to put in for storage, any 5w30 major brand dino would have worked well.

I wouldn't add any additives just to park it, they will most likely settle out anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
even in storage i usually start it about once a month and run it until warmed up but am hearing this is not so good, better off just letting it sit.. storage is about 5 months..

Originally Posted By: mcshooter
even in storage i usually start it about once a month and run it until warmed up but am hearing this is not so good, better off just letting it sit.. storage is about 5 months..

My car sits for 3 months in a semi heated garage in the winter. I leave a battery tender on it and don't start it until I take it out "storage". I usually have fairly fresh oil in it before I "park" for the winter. However, this year I only have less than 3,000 highway miles currently on my Schaeffer's Blend with a Mobil 1 oil filter. Since I'm going to Key West this spring I'm not changing the oil before storage. I use LC20 in the oil and FP60 in the fuel faithfully. Looking in the oil fill the cams and head are brand new looking for 90,000 miles. When I first start the car up in the spring it starts QUIETLY, no metal to metal sounds. A good silicon ADBV really helps!

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: mcshooter

If you want a oil for storage, try a quality motorcycle oil such as Amsoil which has additives that stop rust from moisture. These oils also have lots of zinc. Start engine once a month and run for 10 minutes at 2000 rpm. Idle for 1 minute to cool the turbos and shut off. Add a quality gas additive for storage.

I'm putting this out there for the heck of it. Firing off the car once in a while would probably be good for it but not for the reason you think.

When left sitting an engine has numerous valves in the open condition - the valve spring is compressed. This can't be good so as a result I'm voting for starting the car up once in a while in the hopes that a different set of valves will be the open phase and give the others a chance to stretch out. Is it possible to compress a valve spring for 5 months and maybe it looses some of its' tension? I dunno....

Or maybe I'm crazy......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back