Question about unlocked phone check

It is embarrassing that I have to ask right here, but I have to because I left that industry a few years ago.

My company is giving me a new phone since they are switching from ATT corp plan to TMobile. In the past they let us use the company discount to buy a locked ATT phone and I got one 1.5 years ago. This week the company told us we are switching to TMobile and they will let us get a new unlocked phone on company's dime.

So, my old phone (iPhone 7) had died last year and the warranty has replaced the phone's PCB, with a new IMEI. I tested and see that the new phone seems to have the "Cellular Data Network" selection in settings. It seems to be not 100% guaranteed.

My plan is to continue using the iPhone 7 on the corp plan (Tmo) and let my wife use the iphone 11 on cricket. I have checked with tmo and the iphone 7 does work on the network (although may not be the latest band). So all it takes is to know for sure if the iphone 7 is unlocked after the warranty replacement.

Any way to test for sure without going to a Tmo store?

IPhone 7 should work fine on tmobile but you will not have 66 or 71 band. No big deal if you are in a big metro area. It will even work on Verizon as Apple puts all the bands on their phones

The sure way to tell if its locked to att is to stick a tmobile or Verizon sim in it. even if its locked as long as it been on a plan for a certain amount of time they will unlock it for the owner.

google ATT iphone unlock ...there is a handy unlock portal. You just need the account # or BAN# (Business account) Put in SIM and if it is unlocked the cellular should connect.

This is something to ask the IT department or whoever at the company issues the phones. If your phone is locked it is them who would need to request the unlock.

IPhone 7 should work fine on tmobile but you will not have 66 or 71 band. No big deal if you are in a big metro area. It will even work on Verizon as Apple puts all the bands on their phones

The sure way to tell if its locked to att is to stick a tmobile or Verizon sim in it. even if its locked as long as it been on a plan for a certain amount of time they will unlock it for the owner.
Seems like I really should just use the iPhone 11 on the Tmo then, around here the coverage would probably suck without it and our IT department insist the new Tmo after merging is much better than before and exceed ATT and Verizon on coverage.

Seems like I really should just use the iPhone 11 on the Tmo then, around here the coverage would probably suck without it and our IT department insist the new Tmo after merging is much better than before and exceed ATT and Verizon on coverage.
in a major met area you probably won't even hit the 66 or 71 bands . band 2 , 4 and 12 is most of the ones i see in my area. i used to be on ATT and switched to tmo a year ago. t mobile has improved quite a bit in the last couple of years. in some area i get have clocked close to 200 mps on 4 g .

i would try the 7 with the tmobile sim in it and see how well it works in your area. if its not good just swap the sim to the new phone. whichever phone you use , unless you must use the new phone, i doubt your company would care. my mom has a 7 and it not much different from the 11 my kid has. some people have to have the newest and fastest ,and some are content with an older phone. with the holidays coming , apple might have some trade in specials going on and you might be able to get a new 11 for a good discount. then everyone will be happy. :) if you company is willing to pay for a phone with no limit i would get a 12 . 5 g on tmobile is no extra cost

Last edited:
Obviously it varies by area, but I find T-Mobile to pretty much mirror ATT in my area. There are still a few dead spots, but they’re pretty tiny, but ATT also had a few dead spots that were also pretty small.

Put a SIM from different carrier like TMO on the locked ATT phone and turn it on.
Then you go to the ATT unlock website and use an anonymous and non-subscriber name to request the unlock.
It should work.

If the company is buying you a new phone I'd use the new phone.

Also tmobile is better now but still pathethic near me. cant get signal in half the grocery store for example.. and the building is nothing special i get 3 bars sprint, 4 bars verizon and 4 bars at&t. my house was rated the pinkest for best signal.. and i would get 3 bars outside and 2bars inside.
I was on google fi for last couple years. I do believe in another year or 2 tmob could be the best.. but right now its more marketing hot air in my area.

Back