Question about Superlube base oil

I was wondering if anyone might know what base oil Superlube uses for their multipurpose synthetic grease with Syncolon? I've read some speculative literature that it's Pao base with PTFE , polyglycol thickener and fumated silicon (antifoamant?). Thought someone on the forum might know.

Yes mostly PAO oil specifically 1-Decene, homopolymer, hydrogenated according to the MSDS. Also has a bit of hydro treated mineral oil and some polyglycol oil. The thickener is fumed silica.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221012-150836_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221012-150836_Chrome.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 35
Yes mostly PAO oil specifically 1-Decene, homopolymer, hydrogenated according to the MSDS. Also has a bit of hydro treated mineral oil and some polyglycol oil. The thickener is fumed silica.
I appreciate this. I didn't find this particular document on Superlube website. Are the cas #'s what give away the type of synthetic hydrocarbon? I also wonder what the hydrotreated petroleum is there for, in the grease. I know in the aerosol spray it's there as a solvent carrier, but I'd think that unnecessary for the grease, but I don't know. The polyglycol is likely there to aid in additive absorption, right?

I appreciate this. I didn't find this particular document on Superlube website. Are the cas #'s what give away the type of synthetic hydrocarbon? I also wonder what the hydrotreated petroleum is there for, in the grease. I know in the aerosol spray it's there as a solvent carrier, but I'd think that unnecessary for the grease, but I don't know. The polyglycol is likely there to aid in additive absorption, right?

No problem. It's an older MSDS I posted because on their current one they've decided not to list any of the ingredients likely because none of them actually count as hazardous. None of the certifications have changed though so no major formula changes.

The CAS numbers are specific chemicals that can be looked up in the CAS catalog. Doesn't tell you what they do just what they are.

Hydro treated petroleum is just highly refined mineral oil that's been hydrocraked (aka fake synthetic) probably there with the polyglycol to add some more polar base to the PAO as well as helping with the additives like you said.

No problem. It's an older MSDS I posted because on their current one they've decided not to list any of the ingredients likely because none of them actually count as hazardous. None of the certifications have changed though so no major formula changes.

The CAS numbers are specific chemicals that can be looked up in the CAS catalog. Doesn't tell you what they do just what they are.

Hydro treated petroleum is just highly refined mineral oil that's been hydrocraked (aka fake synthetic) probably there with the polyglycol to add some more polar base to the PAO as well as helping with the additives like you said.
That's all very helpful. I've recently started using their product and really became curious about the composition. I had the thought earlier that perhaps the mineral oil might also help with biodegradability? As I understand it, Pao is non toxic but isn't particularly biodegradable.

Back