Question about Schaeffers blends

Patman

Staff member
Messages
21,989
Location
Oakville, Ontario
I know that the blends such as the #703 10w30 contain 25% PAO in the base oil, but I was curious what basestock makes up the other 75%? Is it group 2 or group 2+?
 
Messages
115
Location
Wisconsin
Hey Patman, I emailed the Schaeffer's Supreme 7000 tech data sheets to you. As you can see the SL/GF-3 rated product uses a Group II+ base. Bob, can you confirm this? [Phone] [ July 19, 2002, 12:30 PM: Message edited by: Scott in WI ]
 
Messages
1,874
Location
Ocala, Florida
Schaeffers does not have any commitment to buy from just one place. The inspect the base oil tests to ensure they get a certain quality. They own no oil wells or gas stations, and they do not do any refining themselves. They purchase their base stocks and such from different various sources as many independants do so to maintain a higher selected quality and do not have to rid themselves of any lower base stock oil unlike the majors have to. This is one reason there is so many different types and grades of oils. Consider this, what would they do with all that crude if they didn't sell but only the best base stock? Anyway, that is the way they have explained it to me.
 
Messages
13
Location
Durham NC
Bob, I'm sure this was overlooked, but it would be interesting to have the answer to Scott's question about the base oil in Supreme 7000. Is it a group II+? Thanks, Henry
 
Messages
1,874
Location
Ocala, Florida
Henry, I'd like no more than to be able to give you that answer but I cannot answer this as I personally have never had a reason to find out, because this part of the oil has never really been a big interest to me for the most part. The next time I have reason to call Larry, I'll try and remember to ask, but only when I have a more valid question to ask as I don't like to bother him over something that is as he is very busy and this is really of no big issue at this time with respect to the new GF-3 specs demanded on the newer oils. Same with how noack volatility has now become less of a selling point for some due to these newer specs. At one time this was a really big point for selling oil but not as much anymore. I'd like to say it's a + but I don't like misleading anyone.
 

Patman

Staff member
Thread starter
Messages
21,989
Location
Oakville, Ontario
Those documents that Scott emailed me state that the rest of the base oil is group 2+ so I have no reason to doubt that now.
 
Messages
115
Location
Wisconsin
I sent an email to Larry Ludwig (he provided me with the SL/GF-3 Tech Data sheets) regarding Schaeffer's Supreme 7000 base stock and received the following reply: Dear Mr. Raymond: Schaeffer Mfg's Supreme 7000 engine oils are a combination of Group II plus and PAO synthetic base fluids. The Group II base stocks we use are derived from the raffinate hydrocoversion refining method. This method is one of the three types of refining methods that is used to produce Group II and Group III base stocks. Sincerely Lawrence G. Ludwig, Jr., OMA, CLS Chief Chemist/Technical Director [ August 07, 2002, 04:44 PM: Message edited by: Scott in WI ]
 
Messages
485
Location
Montgomery, AL
That is great news! Those that insist on Group II or better in their oil will be satisfied. Now, for those of us on the never ending quest for knowledge... What is the 'raffinate hydrocoversion refining method' and how is different than the other 2 methods? [ August 07, 2002, 06:22 PM: Message edited by: jjbula ]
 
Top