Question about 'performance oil filters'

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am getting a new to me 2006 350z (133k miles) and I am curious about what filter would best be run on it. I typically run Purolator filters, but with knowing they having a tearing problem I wouldn't want to test the limits of it on a 'performance car'. I am not going for extended OCI either and do not want Amsoil filters. I am leaning towards Fram's tough guard TG6607 and running Castrol Edge 0W-30. I want good filtration but also don't want the oil restricted so much its affecting performance. I am not sure if that is even a real thing or something I have made up in my head but I figured if anyone knows it'd be the BITOG'ers! anyways, thanks for any help you can offer!

This month off and on I've been running Purolator's off and on now for over 10 years. I know they do tare but in those 10+ years I've yet to have one Tareolator on the Corolla????

Does that sports car and South Carolina need 0w oil?
I like Fram TGs. But for performance under a little engine stress, the Wix sounds like a better fit.

Originally Posted by Patrick_T
I run 0w40 or 5w40 in ga along with fram ultra 7317

That's obviously higher viscosity and geared / built towards performance.
The Ultra is noticeably different (in a plus manner) than the Toughguard.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by TrainingPolicy
I want good filtration but also don't want the oil restricted so much its affecting performance. I am not sure if that is even a real thing or something I have made up in my head but I figured if anyone knows it'd be the BITOG'ers! anyways, thanks for any help you can offer!

Are you going to be revving to redline all the time? That's the only time an oil filter might interfere with oiling system performance. No matter what oil filter you use (because they all have some flow resistance), always ensure the oil is at full operating temperature before smashing the gas pedal to the floor.

I am getting a new to me 2006 350z (133k miles) and I am curious about what filter would best be run on it. I typically run Purolator filters, but with knowing they having a tearing problem I wouldn't want to test the limits of it on a 'performance car'. I am not going for extended OCI either and do not want Amsoil filters. I am leaning towards Fram's tough guard TG6607 and running Castrol Edge 0W-30. I want good filtration but also don't want the oil restricted so much its affecting performance. I am not sure if that is even a real thing or something I have made up in my head but I figured if anyone knows it'd be the BITOG'ers! anyways, thanks for any help you can offer!

It's not a full race built engine your dealing with here, so just relax and pick an oil filter for your car, simple.

Fram Ultra from Walmart or Puro Boss for more money. The Boss has no history of tearing. I saw something here I haven't seen before, they say 10,000 miles? and 99+% efficiency at 20 microns. This equals the Ultra on the efficiency. Either of those or a regular Wix for less money. For USA brands.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G6FPIK4

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
Fram Ultra from Walmart or Puro Boss for more money. The Boss has no history of tearing. I saw something here I haven't seen before, they say 10,000 miles? and 99+% efficiency at 20 microns. This equals the Ultra on the efficiency. Either of those or a regular Wix for less money. For USA brands.

You better recheck your efficiency rating it way off!

Funny. I didn't want 0w oil, but according to posts on BITOG, a lot of people have been running 0w30 and 0w40 and the VQ seems to like it. And as you probably know, it's not what I like but what the engine responds to best. But thanks for the insight.
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Does that sports car and South Carolina need 0w oil?
I like Fram TGs. But for performance under a little engine stress, the Wix sounds like a better fit.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

Yup, Boss is 15,000 miles and 99+% @ 25 microns. (From here).
Not that 99% @ 25 microns is bad, just not the same level as the Tough Guard or Ultra (99% and 99.9% @ 20 microns).

There have also been issues with the Boss (and other Purolator filters) having slits in the ADV from the holes not being cleaned up during manufacture, no proof that anything bad is happening from it, but still, a concern.

As for the tearing, the FL820S is the biggest offender. A few of the smaller size have been tear free (but still won't use them based on principle).
Not sure which filter number that engine uses.

A Tough Guard is a good filter choice IMO. As is Wix/NAPA Gold.

Thats the type of response I was wanting. Does it even matter what filter I use? Or would it have to be in such extreme circumstance that it would never happen.
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
I want good filtration but also don't want the oil restricted so much its affecting performance. I am not sure if that is even a real thing or something I have made up in my head but I figured if anyone knows it'd be the BITOG'ers! anyways, thanks for any help you can offer!

Are you going to be revving to redline all the time? That's the only time an oil filter might interfere with oiling system performance. No matter what oil filter you use (because they all have some flow resistance), always ensure the oil is at full operating temperature before smashing the gas pedal to the floor.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

Originally Posted by blupupher
Yup, Boss is 15,000 miles and 99+% @ 25 microns. (From here).
Not that 99% @ 25 microns is bad, just not the same level as the Tough Guard or Ultra (99% and 99.9% @ 20 microns).

Remember the efficiency fall off graph as an oil filter loads up and increased delta-p causes captured particles to come off the media and hurting efficiecny. That's probably what Purolator is showing here.

Up to 10,000 miles is 99+% @ 20 microns
15,000 miles and it fall off to 99+% @ 25 microns

The 99+%20 is in the table on the left side of the Amazon link. I think Ultra is the same99+ unless they changed it. I have yet to understand the 10k along with the explanation why that may be. 10k and 15k are not weights. 15k means more loaded so the end spike would be more efficiency at 15k. . Anyway apparently Puro either changed the media or made more tests and found the filter is better than previously stated. Boss is 99+, the next one down 99 and the last one a bit lower. Too many numbers changing.

Just use the one designed specifically for your engine. The OEM filter is heavy, has a silicone anti-drainback, the gasket is round (not flat) and the bottom is sealed in plastic. All for less that $6.

You won't have to worry about starving the engine. Eazee Peezee.

Our quest for the "best" oil filter makes me chuckle.

Last edited:
The 99+%20 is in the table on the left side of the Amazon link. I think Ultra is the same99+ unless they changed it. I have yet to understand the 10k along with the explanation why that may be. 10k and 15k are not weights. 15k means more loaded so the end spike would be more efficiency at 15k. . Anyway apparently Puro either changed the media or made more tests and found the filter is better than previously stated. Boss is 99+, the next one down 99 and the last one a bit lower. Too many numbers changing.

Already explained it earlier. As it's been shown before (by M+H/Purolator themselves no less) that oil filters do not get more efficient as they load up. Increased delta-p can make oil filters LESS efficient.

Originally Posted by Gebo
Just use the one designed specifically for your engine. The OEM filter is heavy, has a silicone anti-drainback, the gasket is round (not flat) and the bottom is sealed in plastic. All for less that $6.

People love to make things difficult.

lol.gif

If you think this is a difficult question, don't scroll down. You may have to re-enroll for another degree. lololol
Originally Posted by RazorsEdge
Originally Posted by Gebo

People love to make things difficult.

lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back