Question about oil consumption .

My sister has a 2013 Nissan Rogue . Somewhere around 100k miles I think . It appears to be using oil between changes . Two quarts in 5k miles . The factory recommendation is 5w-30 . Is there something else she can use that would help in this situation ?

My sister has a 2013 Nissan Rogue . Somewhere around 100k miles I think . It appears to be using oil between changes . Two quarts in 5k miles . The factory recommendation is 5w-30 . Is there something else she can use that would help in this situation ?
What is the reason it is consuming oil? Have you done a leakdown test or something to determine the cause?

id try to find out why its burning oil. May want to try a pcv change or cleaning and try a strong engine flush and maybe a ring soak first.

Do you know what kind of oil she has been running? And How do you know about the usage ? Do you change the oil and monitor it for her? If you never have done and OC on the QR25DE the filter is behind the passenger side front tire there is a "bendable" fender skirt in front of the filter can. I usually turn the wheel hard right and you can access it just sitting on the ground in front of the tire.
p.s: these engines use the same common oil filter (base and thread) used on most Honda, Subaru, Nissan, Mitsubishi, Kia, and Mazda
and the longer and wider ones will fit in there ¡No hay problema!

I owned a 2014 Rogue. Impressive, comfortable car for the money. I think I paid $21k for mine newwith AWD Kept it 5 years.
I sold when it was out of warranty it due to CVT worries, but never had issue with it and beat it like a mula alquilada.
I mention this because I just got a class action notice postcard in the mail stating that Nissan will extend warranty coverage 2 year 24K mile past the 5/60 on the CVT and also refund any money spent to repair the CVT in this period.
The only thing I had to do was get the exhaust heat shields re-welded. The spot weld rust out and the shields rattle like a son of a gun.
Local custom muffler shop did this for 50 bucks. Great guys. - Ken

Like others have mentioned...

replace or check the PCV valve first, it’s the cheapest thing to do.

make sure there is no external leaks...check valve cover, oil pan, oil filter, rear main

Make sure she is using the right oil. And the manufacturer interval

After all that^^. You could suspect worse things like rings, valve guides, valve seals. Check the exhaust for blue smoke. Check the inside of the throttle body/intake for oil pooling. Do a compression test. Do a leak down test. Try an engine clean/flush. Piston soaks.

2 quarts isn’t the end of the world, but these things tend to get worse, or sometimes it works itself out. I’ve seen both. I’ve seen cold weather months cause consumption. I’ve seen engine oil brand cause consumption. I’ve seen some driving habits cause a little fluctuation in consumption. I’ve seen people try shorter intervals, different brands, conditioners, and have some results. I’ve seen sometimes nothing helping. But 100,000 miles isn’t a lot of mileage for a car, it’s probably something simple.

Check this thread:

My brother in law did all of the vehicle maintenance . He now has Dementia and my sister has been having it changed at a local shop . She told me that when she brought it in a while back the guy told her that it had very little oil in the engine . They did an oil change at that time and I kept that in the back of my mind . I was at her house the other day and I checked the oil and it was down two quarts . The engine is clean and there is no oil on the ground where she parks . Where is the PCV valve located ?

My brother in law did all of the vehicle maintenance . He now has Dementia and my sister has been having it changed at a local shop . She told me that when she brought it in a while back the guy told her that it had very little oil in the engine . They did an oil change at that time and I kept that in the back of my mind . I was at her house the other day and I checked the oil and it was down two quarts . The engine is clean and there is no oil on the ground where she parks . Where is the PCV valve located ?
I have NEVER had an issue with a PCV valve with regular oil changes. You can clean it in mild solvent and reinstall.

remember to GOOGLE it if you want to know. You ever use Google search?

Throw a few Qts of oil in a bag with a roll of paper towels. put it in the way-back Show her how to raise the hood and check the stick.
I'll be over there every two weeks or so . She needs a lot more help from me these days . Brother in law is going down quickly .

Back