question about mileage during first several minutes of driving a direct injection engine

Since the topic has detoured a bit I will weigh in: I have driven 4K cars for decades (literally two cars which cost 3-4K each for 10 years) and appreciate the arguments in favor. I have saved untold dollars over the years. Now I am fortunate to be in a place financially to order the truck that I wanted without concern for depreciation, etc. Not true for every new vehicle driver, for sure, but for many, we have and still do live within our means and a little depreciation here and there is OK. There is no point in working and saving if you refuse to use the money you can afford to; you can’t take it with you. My family and I get a lot of happiness out of this vehicle.

repeat after me that is the average sales price. you can get a truck for 30k. you're speaking in circles because you don't have a leg to stand on.
So if you can get a deal, so can I.
That bring me right back to my point of getting a used car for $4k that needs some DIY work. But you didn't want to entertain that one.

Spend your $30k, I'll spend far less and invest the difference.

That's what smart money does.

So if you can get a deal, so can I.
That bring me right back to my point of getting a used car for $4k that needs some DIY work. But you didn't want to entertain that one.

Spend your $30k, I'll spend far less and invest the difference.

That's what smart money does.
again the circles. the original comment was about a new vehicle. not some worn out old car. that's two seperate things.

again the circles. the original comment was about a new vehicle. not some worn out old car. that's two seperate things.
You're advocating for spending more money on a thing that will lose value over time.

From a financial perspective, why spend $1 more than necessary on something that loses value?

Why not spend it on something that goes up in value instead like VTI?

You want a new truck to be a good financial decision and it just isn't. There are loads of good reasons to buy a new truck but the financial perspective just isn't one of them.

Cheers!

Last edited:
You're advocating for spending more money on a thing that will lose value over time.

From a financial perspective, why spend $1 more than necessary on something that loses value?

Why not spend it on something that goes up in value instead like VTI?

You want a new truck to be a good financial decision and it just isn't. There are loads of good reasons to buy a new truck but the financial perspective just isn't one of them.

Cheers!
i never said buying a new vehicle was a good financial decision. my original comment was to someone who complained about people buying trucks and suvs. My response was that was the best vehicle to buy because they retain their value better than anything else. I will always buy vehicles that retain their value. it always me to keep more money in my pocket when its time to sell. I can sell my truck right now for what i paid. effectively costing me only insurance and gas for the last three years and ive been able to drive a new vehicle this entire time. there's nothing else on the market that would allow me that kind of value.

How can you says this:
people that are smart with their money buy full size trucks because they hold their value better than anything else.....

And then say this?
i never said buying a new vehicle was a good financial decision...

So if being smart with your money isn't making good financial decisions, then what is it?!?

My response was that was the best vehicle to buy because they retain their value better than anything else. I will always buy vehicles that retain their value. it always me to keep more money in my pocket when its time to sell. I can sell my truck right now for what i paid. effectively costing me only insurance and gas for the last three years....
But if you have to pay a $30k premium to get that truck you are stranding an investible asset. And at best that asset only maintains its value, it doesn't appreciate.

Buying depreciating assets doesn't make good financial sense. Buying high dollar depreciating assets really doesn't make good financial sense.

Last edited:
Our perverse desire to reduce a single pollutant NOx has meant we allow all other pollutants to go out of control CO2, CO, VOC, sulphur compounds all rise
all because of a fear of a small increase in the percentage of NOx which in most areas of the country is a non-issue.
And we have the technology to tell a car where it is and to have it adjust its tune on-the-fly. LA basin gets the reduced NOx setting. Fields of Iowa, how about some low CO2.

Or they buy a $4000 fixer upper that will always be worth more than what they paid……and invest the rest. :)
Some people can afford to buy a $75,000.00 depreciating asset with out missing the money and some people buy a $75,000.00 depreciating asset and can barely meet their living expenses.

How can you says this:

And then say this?

So if being smart with your money isn't making good financial decisions, then what is it?!?

But if you have to pay a $30k premium to get that truck you are stranding an investible asset. And at best that asset only maintains its value, it doesn't appreciate.

Buying depreciating assets doesn't make good financial sense. Buying high dollar depreciating assets really doesn't make good financial sense.
ok, you're speaking in circles. my original statement doesn't say new your putting that there because you're trying to make it point. if you go back to my original post it wasn't even about new or used. it was truck vs car. i was simply saying apples to apples a truck is a better value long term. that's it, but you had to get butt hurt and chime in.

i was simply saying apples to apples a truck is a better value long term.
I understand that that is what you said. I believe you are incorrect based on the many posts I made in this thread.

that's it, but you had to get butt hurt and chime in.
Now you're just projecting your own mindset onto others.

Stranding investable capital in a depreciating asset is a poor financial decision and it is not what smart money does.

I know there are several companies that offer “tunes” for these motors and I assumed that they are all intended to improve power output l. Has anyone heard of a tune that focuses on economy, perhaps by eliminating the initial startup priority on warming emissions components? I wonder if a less extreme warm up strategy might be possible, especially during moderate temps. I’m just curious for curiosity’s sake.

I understand that that is what you said. I believe you are incorrect based on the many posts I made in this thread.

Now you're just projecting your own mindset onto others.

Stranding investable capital in a depreciating asset is a poor financial decision and it is not what smart money does.
well your wrong. when forced to buy something of depreciating value, the smart thing to do is buy the one that depreciates less. this is basic common sense. wow you really are a fiscal genius.

well your wrong. when forced to buy something of depreciating value, the smart thing to do is buy the one that depreciates less. this is basic common sense. wow you really are a fiscal genius.
Wouldn't you rather strand the least amount of money as possible? If you lay out a bunch of money for the less depreciating asset, it's still a depreciating asset - why not take the money and invest it where it will appreciate instead?

In other words isn't better overall to spend the least amount of money possible? If that's your goal of course. If you want a large expensive truck then go for it, but that doesn't make it necessarily the best financial decision.

Wouldn't you rather strand the least amount of money as possible? If you lay out a bunch of money for the less depreciating asset, it's still a depreciating asset - why not take the money and invest it where it will appreciate instead?

In other words isn't better overall to spend the least amount of money possible? If that's your goal of course. If you want a large expensive truck then go for it, but that doesn't make it necessarily the best financial decision.
that only makes sense if your really believe that a truck is 75k, which is a lie. you can get a truck for a few grand more than a car. "if you want a large expensive truck" your bias is showing. facts matter. you will spend less over a ten year period with truck then you will a car, when comparing apples to apples. im done here. you believe what you want. there is a reason business use trucks and not cars.

people that are smart with their money buy full size trucks because they hold their value better than anything else. go priced a used truck vs a used car and get back to me.
I know. I don't need one but got on a used FORD p/u screen and had to look twice. WOW! some over $48,000 to $58,000 USED.

Back