Question about lane departure and collision avoidance on 2014+ Impala.

For those that have this, how well does it work or is it a huge annoyance? I've been in a few cars where this feature works really well and didn't slam on the brakes unless it's absolutely needed.

I just don't want to be moving in-and-out of traffic sometimes in close proximity and have the car do something I don't want it to or does it just alert you only?

In general yes. If you are squeezing in between cars the braking system will activate. If you don’t use your turn signals the lane departure system will try to correct. In top of that the blind spot monitor will always be beeping.

Also, consider that if you are squeezing into tight spots between cars in traffic you will be triggering their braking systems.

Turned off.
Yes, that's an option. Should have added if the new drivers of the family are behind the wheel, does the system alert only or apply the brakes as well when frontal proximity has been breached?

I'm fine with the fact the car can help to avoid a rear-end collision, just not sure how well it works or does is "false trigger".

Yes, that's an option. Should have added if the new drivers of the family are behind the wheel, does the system alert only or apply the brakes as well when frontal proximity has been breached?

I'm fine with the fact the car can help to avoid a rear-end collision, just not sure how well it works or does is "false trigger".

If you don’t have the owners manual then I would download it to get the specifics on that car.

It’s all computerized and uses radar to determine the distance. Using my Mazda system as an example, I will get a warning if I am too close and the brakes will apply when that distance measurement is reached. So two different steps. How the Impala will warn you if specific to that car. I have both an audible and a visual warning. I turned off the audible. On mine the distance is adjustable. You will have to see the manual to determine if yours is and how to adjust. That adjustment also affects the Adaptive Cruise Control on mine. Another item for you to sort out or if you have ACC.

On lane departure it’s similar. I have audible, visual and haptic warnings. I turned off the audible. The haptic is a vibration in the steering wheel. You will have to see how yours is set up. In addition I have what Mazda calls lane departure intervention. That means the car will steer back into the lane if you drift out. I had the option in settings to turn that off and I did. Sometimes there is a reason you are going out of the lane like an object in the roadway. I don’t want the system fighting my decision.

You really need the manual to know how your system works and how you can adapt it for your preferences.

Just drive when you're driving. Don't use your cell phone, don't eat or drink. Just drive.

If you lean towards aggressive and chancy driver you won’t like the system. If you drive defensively and normally a system engagement will be quite rare unless someone pulls in front of you last minute .

Many systems you can adjust sensitivity on engagement.

I don't remember the Impalas (or GMs in general) I have driven to have safety systems that were too intrusive. The first vehicle I owned with FCW I had to adjust my driving a bit, if I was barreling down on a vehicle I could tell was turning it would set it off.

Thanks for all the replies.

I guess I should have been a little more specific in the body of the post, my bad.

I'm actually inquiring about the LDW and collision avoidance "specifically"on the 2014+ Impala...:cool:

Some GM's are likely similiar, maybe the Malibu and CTS...not sure.

Does this system generally work as it should or does it false trigger, mainly the brakes more often than it should.

Back