Question about GC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a dodge 4.7L v-8. from what I am told its a german designed motor. it calls for 5w 30 oil. will it hurt the motor to use GC 0w 30? or is this too thin for a V8 motor?

Ahhh Dark Jedi, you still have much to learn as we turn you to the green side. . . Remember that you must look at the two multi-vis numbers separately. This oil is not "too thin" at all. In fact, at hot temps, it's actually thicker than most of the commonly marketed 30 wt oils. Remember, the SAE viscosities represent ranges of thickness, not exact tartget points. And these ranges are fairly broad. GC is a "thick 30" that tests out at around 12.5 cSt at 100 deg C and has and HT/HS vis of 3.6, IIRC. In contrast, Mobil-1 5w-30 EP tests at around 10 cSt and has and HT/HS vis of around 3.0, in other words, it's darned near being a 20 wt oil (not meant as a slam at all). So, when hot, GC is substantially thicker than, for example, most M1 30 weights. And it is shear stable too.

On the cold side, the "xW" number does not represent a viscosity, in the sense of thickness of the fluid, at all. The cold part of multi-vis rating is defined in terms of performance on Cold Cranking simulator tests, primarily.

This, of course, does not tell you which oil will be best for your engine. It does suggest, however, that you need to look elsewhere (to UOA performance, perhaps) to see which is best for you. But, respectfully, you are mistaken to assume that an oil is "thinner" simply because it carries a 0w instead of a 5w or 10w rating.

And, BTW,
welcome.gif

EDIT: Patman might be a good one to look to on this issue. He's had superb results running GC in his Corvette (obviously, V-8 powered). GC plainly wasn't too thin for his engine, see his UOA.

well this is why I came on to this site so I can try and learn more about oil and oil preformance. after comming here I have stop using fram oil filters. but i am the first to say I know diddly squat about oil. besides comming in a bottle

patman can you tell me about how GC runs in your Vette and how it might run in my dak. I would like to run a better cheaper oil besides M1.

oh yeah been meaning to ask how can you tell a bottle is GC? what do you look for in the bottle or is it bottle color? I know I am so dumb
freak2.gif
live in a small town and might be able to find this stuff around here.

quote:

Originally posted by Dark Jedi:
I have a dodge 4.7L v-8. from what I am told its a german designed motor. it calls for 5w 30 oil. will it hurt the motor to use GC 0w 30? or is this too thin for a V8 motor?

Castrol 0w30 will do fine in your engine.

And BTW, the SOHC 4.7 was designed fully in-house by Chrylser long before Chrylser merged with Daimler-Benz to form DaimlerChrysler. Your engine is as Red, White, and Blue as they come.

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:

quote:

And BTW, the SOHC 4.7 was designed fully in-house by Chrylser long before Chrylser merged with Daimler-Benz to form DaimlerChrysler. Your engine is as Red, White, and Blue as they come.

I have always been told its a german designed motor. what alot of people said in the dakota boards. even a german company I forgot what they was called. has the only stroker kit for it and yo uhave to send the motor to them in germany to get it done. or buy one from them for $25 grand. so if this is a dodge USA designed motor. whay would a german based aftermarket company that does mercadies (sorry for the spelling) make a kit like this for the 4.7 v8

also I have to use metric sockets on my engine. all other american made motors I had used SAE sockets. so to me thats another reason the motor isnt a USA design.

you know I maybe wrong but when alot of people that knows about this motor tells me that it was designed by germany as their first attempt to use one of their motors in dodges then I have to go with them.

Daimler-Benz took over Chrysler in 1998 and the 4.7 didnt come out untill the 2000 model dakota rams and grand cherokee. this engine replaced the 5.2l v8(or as many called it the trusty 318)

not trying to start an arguement by all means.

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:

quote:

I have always been told its a german designed motor. what alot of people said in the dakota boards. even a german company I forgot what they was called. has the only stroker kit for it and yo uhave to send the motor to them in germany to get it done. or buy one from them for $25 grand. so if this is a dodge USA designed motor. whay would a german based aftermarket company that does mercadies (sorry for the spelling) make a kit like this for the 4.7 v8

also I have to use metric sockets on my engine. all other american made motors I had used SAE sockets. so to me thats another reason the motor isnt a USA design.

you know I maybe wrong but when alot of people that knows about this motor tells me that it was designed by germany as their first attempt to use one of their motors in dodges then I have to go with them.

Daimler-Benz took over Chrysler in 1998 and the 4.7 didnt come out untill the 2000 model dakota rams and grand cherokee. this engine replaced the 5.2l v8(or as many called it the trusty 318)

not trying to start an arguement by all means.

Your sources are totally out to lunch. The 4.7, along with the 3.2-3.5 SOHC V6 and 2.7 DOHC V6 (used in the LH cars) were the last engine designs done by Chrysler before the takeover. The 4.7 was in the design and development stages in late 96, early 97 and was slated for introduction in the Jeep in the 99 model year. The "merger" actually delayed the introduction of the engine.

As for using metric tools: The 3.4 in my Olds minivan has metric nuts and bolts on it, and no one would ever claim this is a German design. The 3.5 in my 300M also has metric nuts and bolts.

. . . and on the bottom, it will have a batch number somewhere in the range of M03xxx to M04xxx, although I understand there is a small amount of very early M05xxx stock that's still green, made before the switch to gold. Look for the faint greenish hue in the narrow clear strip that runs down the side of the bottle. Very early GC appeared in the late M02 batches, but I've only seen such bottles in one store in New Orleans, early in my greenquest, and never again or anywhere else.

thanks for the pic didnt think it would be that dark of a green.it looks like antifreeze lol. will keep a look out for the stuff and try it when I can find some.

can you give me some info of this engine being a pre DC motor? so I can see and set others right. I just find it wierd that dodge would send the 318 out to pasture beings its such a good motor. to put a new untested motor in its place. this is one reason why I went with what others said about dailmer designed the motor. so if you can get me that info I apprishate it.

quote:

thanks for the pic didnt think it would be that dark of a green.it looks like antifreeze lol. will keep a look out for the stuff and try it when I can find some.

{snip}

GC color is very difficult to capture in photos (I've tried...
wink.gif
) , and even to see consistently in person. The "green-ness" is definitely always there, but changes dramatically depending upon the light and how much you're looking at. If you pour a medium stream into your engine outside on a sunny day, it will shine brilliant green, like a flow of liquid emerald. If you pour it into a plastic cup, like the one above, and look at it in low light, it's brown, just like common oil. For the first thousand or so miles after an oil change, when I open my oil filler and shine a light in, the cap threads and neck of the filler actually have a faint green glow to them, but this fades with use. Perhaps this ethereal color thing is part of the charm of the GC experience. Of course, it being outstanding oil helps too. . .
cheers.gif

quote:

can you give me some info of this engine being a pre DC motor? so I can see and set others right. I just find it wierd that dodge would send the 318 out to pasture beings its such a good motor. to put a new untested motor in its place. this is one reason why I went with what others said about dailmer designed the motor. so if you can get me that info I apprishate it.

I'm going by the Chrysler press release I read in 99 plus other trade articles that were out at the time on the 4.7.

This engine was far rom "untested." It went through a very rigorous development program with a lot of real world testing.

NB: Everyone is going ga-ga over the Hemi in the new 300 and Dodge Magnum, but what I'd like to see DCX do is put the 4.7 in these cars. I'd take that over the Hemi any day of the week.

quote:

Originally posted by ekpolk:
. . . and on the bottom, it will have a batch number somewhere in the range of M03xxx to M04xxx, although I understand there is a small amount of very early M05xxx stock that's still green, made before the switch to gold.

M05010XXXXXX is the last Green GC batch I'm aware of.
M05010XXXXXX translates into made (bottled) in Jan 10 2005 at the "M" bottling plant.

Here are better pictures of the Green.

quote:

oh yeah been meaning to ask how can you tell a bottle is GC? what do you look for in the bottle or is it bottle color?

GC is only available as a 0W-30 and will state "Made in Germany" on the rear label as seen in these pictures:

-

-

I forgot to take the part number to auto zone. just bought a bottle to see if it was GC. got home and saw the part number isnt match and it was gold version. only thing that sucks is that have it on the top shelf and didnt feel like digging out all the bottles because I dont know how they would react in the store. I will go back when I have more time with part number in hand and search. I have 2 stores localy to check and if I can find a few I will do more further away.

quote:

only thing that sucks is that have it on the top shelf and didnt feel like digging out all the bottles because I dont know how they would react in the store.

They'll be more than happy to assist you.
You're a customer who helps them to get rid of the older stock!!!

ekpolk,

I have an M02xxxx in my possession, unless I used it on my last oil change. (i don't group by batch number..so I can't be sure). Is this the one that has iron in the virgin GC?

I bought it about a month ago, at the same time I picked up bottles anywhere from M03xxx to M0501xxx....all from the same shelf.

IIRC, it was the GC of that vintage that was involved, but here is a VOA, performed in May 2003, which shows the pattern. This was from M0223xxx, near the batch you've got. Incidentally, the batch numbers do not seem to appear randomly, so if the numbers do include julian dates as another poster suggested, then the stuff is made on a sporadic basis, or certain areas only sees certain batches. My collection has included M020, M030, M0332, M0409, M041x, M0428, and a couple others I can't recall (it's 325 miles away, so I can't check).

Here's a VOA on a sample from M030xxx. Iron is only 3ppm this time vs. 9 before.

Here's a VOA on M0304xxx. Iron at 4ppm.

quote:

Originally posted by ekpolk:
Incidentally, the batch numbers do not seem to appear randomly, so if the numbers do include julian dates as another poster suggested...

Castrol on the date of manufacture:

"You can determine the date of manufacture by locating the fill code on the bottom of the back panel.
It is composed of a series of letters and numbers, with the first five characters being the most important.

For example, if you have M04023...., the "M" would represent the plant location.
The five digits '04023' represent the date of production.
The number 04 represents the last digit of the year (2004) and the '023' represents the day of the year, based on 365 calendar days, on which it was produced (January 23).

Therefore Lot# M040236ATW2418346 16:38
was manufactured on January 23rd of 2004."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back