Question about cold weather, and what oil to use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

There is a chance I could be moving to Alaska. I currently have two vehicles; 2011 Nissan Titan, and a 95 Jeep Wrangler 4.0. The Titan takes 5w30, and the Jeep is recommended 10w30, but everyone knows with the 4.0 it is not picky. My question to everyone is, for this extreme cold weather what oil would be best to use? The Titan still goes to the dealer for oil changed due to warranty, but they let me bring whatever oil I want, and a filter too. I have read about this German Castrol, but cannot seem to find too much. These are some possible plans, and I would be getting there this fall/winter.

If anyone has a good oil recommendation, and filter recommendation I would appreciate it. I have read that Mobil 1 is not good in the Jeep 4.0, so that may be out. I would like to use the same brand for both vehicles as it makes it easier.

Thank you to everyone who replies, and helps out!

Christopher

Any 0W-30 would work great. I'm sure alot of people here will point to M1 0W-40 which would be a good stout oil.

Another choice is if you can find any HDEO thats 0W-30 rated, like Rotella T5 0W-30, all great oils for harsh temperatures. It'll probably be cheaper then M1 too.

GumbyJarvis,

Thank you for the link! I have never heard of that, so I will look into it. Actually, I have never seen the oil period.

Thank you again

Where in Alaska?

I lived in Fairbanks for 25 years. Juneau, in South Eastern Alaska is about the same climate as Seattle, Anchorage has a winter probably comparable to New York and Fairbanks.....well, I've seen my share of -70.

Possibly Anchorage with the military. Do you Castrol is a good oil to use? I do not know much about their stuff. I want something good for my Jeep 4.0

Anchorage climate is quite moderate compared to the interior and north slope. Summer temps probably average in the 60s but can go into the eighties and in winter a lot of temps around 0 to 20 above but can get as low as -30. Lot of rain because Anchorage is backed up to the Chugach mountains on one side and Cook Inlet on the other.

I don't believe you'll have to deviate much from whatever oil you've been accustomed to using.

I was sent to Alaska by the Army after returning from Vietnam. I was stationed at Ft. Richardson, (Anchorage), for a year before being transferred to Ft. Wainwright, (Fairbanks). Man, that was a long time ago! 1974/1975 Guess I'm old now!

Anyway, while the climate may not be what you're used to, it won't be the extreme you're expecting either. Winters can be cold and dark but the summers are glorious, if short.

Enjoy your tour and thank you for your service!

Wife drives 2010 Armada (same drivetrian as Titan). I'm in NY and often are in Vermont and Northern New Hampshire in winter months. I've used M1 5-30 since day one (she just turned 35k). I kept reading on this site a 5k OCI with M1 was a waste. I was doing 5k changes and last analysis was at IIRC 29k. TBN came back 3.9. So I'm moving forward with 6k and see what we get....and If I can handle the
blush.gif
we may even try 7k. YIKES!!!

M1 5-30 with a P1 filter is my recommendation.

My friend always used pyb 10W30 in her Nissan Altima when she was living in Alaska. Worked perfectly!

Wife drives 2010 Armada (same drivetrian as Titan). I'm in NY and often are in Vermont and Northern New Hampshire in winter months. I've used M1 5-30 since day one (she just turned 35k). I kept reading on this site a 5k OCI with M1 was a waste. I was doing 5k changes and last analysis was at IIRC 29k. TBN came back 3.9. So I'm moving forward with 6k and see what we get....and If I can handle the
blush.gif
we may even try 7k. YIKES!!!

M1 5-30 with a P1 filter is my recommendation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back