Question about backlighting on an LCD TV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know in the end it only matters what I think of it, but just as a sanity check, would such uneven back lighting (see top and bottom edges of the TV display images below) be acceptable to you?

This is a 22" Toshiba LCD HD TV/DVD combo. I sent the first one back because Toshiba told me that what I was describing sounded like a manufacturing defect. Now I just got a replacement and it is exactly the same as the first one. The moment I turn it on, it is not noticeable, but within about 5 minutes, as the TV warms up, the back lighting becomes overblown at the top and bottom. Playing with various picture settings does not help. I have never seen such uneven back lighting, even on a no-name LCD TV.

Now, I know I am very picky about even the smallest picture imperfections, so do you guys think I'm over reacting? I want to send this back and get something else, although the options on TV/DVD combos in this size are very limited (it's for the kitchen, so no space for a standalone DVD player).

toshiba1.jpg

toshiba2.jpg

toshiba3.jpg

My sharp has true black at the top/bottom. I couldn't live with what you are experiencing...

Is there not a setting to lower the brightness/contrast to get rid of that?

shocked2.gif

My 52in Sony is even in the backlighting. I'd send it back. How high do you have the baclighting set? In a good quality set, the picture should be bright, and any black should be black with very little light spill over. So in the top pic that has the black bars. Those bars should be black with no blacklighting spilling into the pic. Thats a sign of poorly built set.

Last edited:
Ive seen that before on LCD tvs and monitors, but it is annoying and not right... Is this a get what you pay for deal???

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Is there not a setting to lower the brightness/contrast to get rid of that?

There are settings, but they don't help much, if at all.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
How old is the TV ?

It's brand new. That's why I want to send it back to get my money back.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Ive seen that before on LCD tvs and monitors, but it is annoying and not right... Is this a get what you pay for deal???

I dunno... $400 for a 22" TV/DVD combo is not a lot of money, but it's not exactly cheap either. I bought a 22" recertified Samsung LCD monitor last year for $280 and it does not have such issues.

Originally Posted By: strongt
How high do you have the baclighting set?

50%. But even if I lower it even more, the unevenness (is that a word?) remains.

see where newer LCD tvs will have L.E.D. lighting . Last longer and more energy savings . Not sure if they're on the market yet . If are , would consider one of those .

your toshiba is a rebadged orion.
cheap sets with cheap panels have these light bleed issues.
return while you can.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
LED backlighting is big money. It's far more expensive than CCFL.

We were looking at a 46" LED TV a couple of weeks ago. It retails for $2,500. Stunning picture but not worth the money IMHO. My wife disagrees, though.

Originally Posted By: kc8adu
your toshiba is a rebadged orion.
cheap sets with cheap panels have these light bleed issues.
return while you can.

I would return if possible, too. This would drive me nuts.

Originally Posted By: D189379
You get what you pay for.

Please recommend me another 22" TV/DVD combo that will be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back