Question about 12pt Sockets

It's not the first time I've heard of 3/4" drive being employed for Mercedes-Benz 🤣🤣however.. that's awesome.

Can get pretty huge.. I imagine you'd break everything with this, this has to be for big rigs!? https://rxs-asia.com/brand/super-duty-titanium-air-impact-tool-3955b2ti/

View attachment 100317
Lolol I'd love to see someone try to reasonably manhandle one of those things. That is the epitome of weak mind, strong back.
If you need something of that caliber, just use an Enerpac W-series hydraulic torque wrench and do the job correctly.

I use mostly 6 point, but I have a set of 12 point for those fasteners. I also have a set of E Torx for the times I need those as well.

Because it doesn’t cost me a ton to have them, and I’d rather have them for those times I absolutely need them. Which is more often these days.

I used to use splined sockets, but they are now pretty worn out for that and they started slipping.

No disrespect intended but examples of 'spline design' tooling I've seen, granted, almost all at Sears, seemed too universal and likely weak.
The spline box-open end combi wrench looked like it would be best used hammered on as an emergency tool. Truly, nubby teeth biting fasteners is a thing?
Do spline bolt heads exist? Is all this an accommodation to cheaper production?
If they're good I'm glad.

No disrespect intended but examples of 'spline design' tooling I've seen, granted, almost all at Sears, seemed too universal and likely weak.
The spline box-open end combi wrench looked like it would be best used hammered on as an emergency tool. Truly, nubby teeth biting fasteners is a thing?
Do spline bolt heads exist? Is all this an accommodation to cheaper production?
If they're good I'm glad.
Spline head bolts are common in aviation. Very high quality materials in both the fastener and the tool.

Not the case with Sears “Universal” spline wrenches that are purported to grab everything from metric to SAE and square fasteners.

I despise 12 point sockets and flat out refuse to use them. Haven’t seen 12 point fasteners in years, mainly head bolts and rod bolts.

Almost every time you see a worn out oil drain plug or other fastener it’s because of the use of 12 point sockets or 12 point combination wrench use.

I only used 12 point a few times... again, I'd take a 6 point any day.

I must say again that they say 12-point has a use. I've just never had to experience it.

If you must use 12-point, be VERY careful....

My go to sockets are 6 point. I’m sure I’m missing a few, but I can’t think of 12’s actually giving me trouble minus the bolt being too rusty. My go to’s used to be my 12’s from HF. Never an issue.

The transmission cross member bolts on my blazer are the only thing that comes to mind. I needed rocket sockets. Lol.

All of my good sockets are 12pt. I don't even have 6pt sockets in my work boxes.

Never rounded a fastener that wasn't a dirty Phillips that should have been replaced twice before I got to it.

I despise 12 point sockets and flat out refuse to use them. Haven’t seen 12 point fasteners in years, mainly head bolts and rod bolts.

Almost every time you see a worn out oil drain plug or other fastener it’s because of the use of 12 point sockets or 12 point combination wrench use.
I bet you own 12pt wrenches though and have no problems.

Back