Queen's Gambit

This was enjoyable, if you dont know chess prior chances are you'll pick up a lot of it just watching but no prior necessary.
It does start out with the basics and progress from there. Scholar's mate is one of the first things that people learn when playing. I can't believe people still try it when I play online. I can tell they're stunned it didn't work because they try the first few moves and when I pull the knight out there's a pause as they try to figure out what to do next.

If super cute chicks put you to sleep.

She's real easy on the eyes and they tart her up with fantastic wardrobe and makeup budget.
I think in the book she's supposed to be an ugly duckling at first and then blossoms, but in the mini series, she's always super cute even if she's not dressed or styled to look it. The outfit at the end is pretty obvious, makes her look like a queen, especially the hat.

It does start out with the basics and progress from there. Scholar's mate is one of the first things that people learn when playing. I can't believe people still try it when I play online. I can tell they're stunned it didn't work because they try the first few moves and when I pull the knight out there's a pause as they try to figure out what to do next.

I think in the book she's supposed to be an ugly duckling at first and then blossoms, but in the mini series, she's always super cute even if she's not dressed or styled to look it. The outfit at the end is pretty obvious, makes her look like a queen, especially the hat.

I never saw the outfit as a queen proxy, but now that you mention it - of course.

I have it in my que to watch but have not yet. I love chess and learned to play when I was in the first grade. Hardly anyone I know these days knows how to play so I don't play hardly ever. I do have the lichess app on my phone which I play occasionally.

I taught myself to play from the instructions on the lid of the box of the chess/checker set that sat in the closet for 40 years.

Taught myself, then taught other family members. We started playing each other and I became the family shark.

First time I played anyone outside of the family I learned there was an error on the lid that didnt list the movement of the knight correctly, and the first move of the knight an argument ensued over the correct movement. I lost the argument and rightly so- but i faithfully followed that incorrect instruction and taught it for years.

I taught myself to play from the instructions on the lid of the box of the chess/checker set that sat in the closet for 40 years.

Taught myself, then taught other family members. We started playing each other and I became the family shark.

First time I played anyone outside of the family I learned there was an error on the lid that didnt list the movement of the knight correctly, and the first move of the knight an argument ensued over the correct movement. I lost the argument and rightly so- but i faithfully followed that incorrect instruction and taught it for years.
It's too bad only basic instructions come with a set. There's basically so much more to it, all the different openings, the midgame, endgame, forks, pins, sacrifices, control of the center etc.

It's too bad only basic instructions come with a set. There's basically so much more to it, all the different openings, the midgame, endgame, forks, pins, sacrifices, control of the center etc.

What struck me was how Id heard the game was "so complicated" when in reality it's actually simple to learn.

Thats the deception, just a few pieces to learn how they move, but the depth is near infinite.

Anyone reading this that doesn't know how to play dont for one second be intimidated.

What struck me was how Id heard the game was "so complicated" when in reality it's actually simple to learn.

Thats the deception, just a few pieces to learn how they move, but the depth is near infinite.

Anyone reading this that doesn't know how to play dont for one second be intimidated.
Yes, it's very simple learn, very hard to master.

Loved the show. I hate board games, card games, etc. But that's just me.
Anyone could beat me at Chess. Anyone. Especially Beth Harmon.

Great watch..... Need me some of those Green vitamins, Might come across much smarter here.
According to some internet research, that did happen back then and it was a drug called Librium. Modern day Valium would be similar.

Back