Quality of brake hoses?

Hi,

There is a large amount of brake hose brands available for any vehicle with large price differences. If such a brake hose is stamped with SAE J1401 on the rubber, will it be of the same quality as original, genuine brake hoses?

L

It does seem that given enough time (17 years on my Nissan Maxima), they go bad. I had a scenario where the right front caliper would lock up, because fluid could be pushed out, and then not return. I'm told on the inside, it deteriorates so the flow is one way. At the time I thought, why not stainless steel? Like anything else, I'd probably stick with quality makes, but maybe it isn't as critical if not high performance nor a long time horizon...

I sent a PM to someone on here about this question. His reply back was even the least expensive ones are good because of the high standards that have to be met. So get the least expensive although for a few more pennies I'd get the Sunsong.

I also recently installed a LF hose on a 2000 Tacoma 4wd. It was a need-now situation so I got a hose from O'Reilly. I'm not sure who makes their hoses but in this case fit seemed questionable, specifically the hose retainer seemed to be slightly off along the length of the hose and clocking of the tab also forced me twist the rubber a little more than I would have liked.

However, here again I have no way of knowing if OEM also fit similarly when new and 22 years of use just allowed the rubber of the old hose to relax.

I wouldn't characterize the O'Reilly hose as unsafe -- it just seemed to fit not-quite-right

I think I use corteco hose on my MB cars when they get new ones. Not sure who makes the rubber, but I assume the SAE qualification assures quality (knocking on wood). Then again, IIRC the standard only requires six year in-service life (please prove me wrong on this! I’d like to be wrong). Quite often the old hoses were pirelli rubber, crimped who knows where.

DDD949D8-291F-4F5E-A1DF-5332CA9C9D4C.jpeg

No respectable parts place would sell junk brake hoses. I'm sure those a closely regulated.
Closely regulated? Not in my experience- Was rotating tires and checked brake hoses as part of the effort. Gave one a bend to check for cracks and it came appart in my hands. The junction where the metal line joins the rubber hose was covered by a rubber sleeve, which trapped water and salt. This so corroded the metal that it fell apart in my hands. Called the brake hose manufacteuer/supplier and they were not concerned, saying we meet all government safety standards. Don't rely on government regulators for your safety...

Sunsong hoses are very good, they are properly crimped, meet SAE/DOT specs, have good corrosion resistance and clocked perfectly. Many big name companies rebrand them, and some OE use them also. May be of they charged 3X the price people would all over themselves to buy them.

No respectable parts place would sell junk brake hoses. I'm sure those a closely regulated.
I agree, I don't worry about respectable ones... I do have a hard time understanding why anyone would ever go to ebay or even Amazon (outside of a very limited group of sellers) for safety critical parts. I've learned to go with OE/OEM except for unusual circumstances.

Sunsong hoses are very good, they are properly crimped, meet SAE/DOT specs, have good corrosion resistance and clocked perfectly. Many big name companies rebrand them, and some OE use them also. May be of they charged 3X the price people would all over themselves to buy them.

I gotta thank @Trav for his advice. I was reading all the suggestions before about Sunsong and it sounded good.. untiL I did some digging. They actually bought out a brake hose supplier in Ohio (I think it was) to GM. Not that GM is 100% perfect, but I can see what the chinese company could learn from a tier 1 auto supplier. They had partnered with the Tier one supplier then bought out the operation. Just some background to who this company is today.

I did buy the Sunsong hoses, already used them in a friend's car, mine's next (Civic). NO issues at all, and the crimps are excellent, the hoses are not thin, I've seen junk out there in the aftermarket and these Sunsong hoses really are excellent quality! Just a hair less if not exactly close to the Toyota ones I put on my Scion a couple years ago, that's saying something about the quality! And the prices? Makes ya wonder what it REALLY costs to make a quality brake hose after all!

Closely regulated? Not in my experience- Was rotating tires and checked brake hoses as part of the effort. Gave one a bend to check for cracks and it came appart in my hands. The junction where the metal line joins the rubber hose was covered by a rubber sleeve, which trapped water and salt. This so corroded the metal that it fell apart in my hands. Called the brake hose manufacteuer/supplier and they were not concerned, saying we meet all government safety standards. Don't rely on government regulators for your safety...
I once lost all brakes on a 20+ years old Opel Astra while pressure testing the brake system during an inspection. Both front hoses had that exact issue and separated at the same time. I did apply about 1000 N (225 lb) of pressure to the brake pedal.

I once lost all brakes on a 20+ years old Opel Astra while pressure testing the brake system during an inspection. Both front hoses had that exact issue and separated at the same time. I did apply about 1000 N (225 lb) of pressure to the brake pedal.
Mine were maybe 8 yo and came apart under moderate bending. Should have reported it to the gov agency regulating car safety.

I don't think any part other than the car itself is actually tested by the NHTSA, and manufactures "self certify" compliance. The only requirement to get the compliance is the mark the part and register it, so if there is a problem they can do a recall - I think. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

I would try to buy a well established brand name or OEM, and avoid anything from China like the plague.

I gotta thank @Trav for his advice. I was reading all the suggestions before about Sunsong and it sounded good.. untiL I did some digging. They actually bought out a brake hose supplier in Ohio (I think it was) to GM. Not that GM is 100% perfect, but I can see what the chinese company could learn from a tier 1 auto supplier. They had partnered with the Tier one supplier then bought out the operation. Just some background to who this company is today.

I did buy the Sunsong hoses, already used them in a friend's car, mine's next (Civic). NO issues at all, and the crimps are excellent, the hoses are not thin, I've seen junk out there in the aftermarket and these Sunsong hoses really are excellent quality! Just a hair less if not exactly close to the Toyota ones I put on my Scion a couple years ago, that's saying something about the quality! And the prices? Makes ya wonder what it REALLY costs to make a quality brake hose after all!
Sunsong bought Harco out, they made the GM Delphi brake line which IIRC was Moraine (old GM mechanics will remember that name, Ford used Kelsey Hayes), a Tier 1 OE supplier. I see new hoses from the dealer still made in Ohio. With China being the worlds largest car market it is no surprise there are a lot of manufacturers moving there and Chinese companies making Tier 1 parts. With a lot of rubbish parts coming from China made by uncle chins rickshaw and pencil company in some back alley so it is normal the reputation rubs off on every company but on the other side of that coin people have no problem buying high priced iphone/Apple products and Milwaukee power tools, etc.

Sunsong bought Harco out, they made the GM Delphi brake line which IIRC was Moraine (old GM mechanics will remember that name, Ford used Kelsey Hayes), a Tier 1 OE supplier. I see new hoses from the dealer still made in Ohio. With China being the worlds largest car market it is no surprise there are a lot of manufacturers moving there and Chinese companies making Tier 1 parts. With a lot of rubbish parts coming from China made by uncle chins rickshaw and pencil company in some back alley so it is normal the reputation rubs off on every company but on the other side of that coin people have no problem buying high priced iphone/Apple products and Milwaukee power tools, etc.

There's another forum which shall remain nameless where the majority seemingly have no problem with tires made in China but do nothing but start threads screaming about a screwdriver made in China.

It really confuses me.....

ANYWAY, on the subject of brake hoses, the Earl's stainless at least used to be total junk. Lots of failures in the offroad world. Crimps are weak and mine blew a hole (in the middle of the length) just standing on the brakes on a trail. But guys buy into the marketing about a firmer pedal because the stainless lines won't swell as much as rubber.

In contrast, I've seen entire solid axles hang from nothing but OEM rubber hoses. I wouldn't want to USE those hoses after that kind of stress, but the point is if properly built OEM rubber lines are tough and are my choice for rockcrawling.

I'll find a way to lower OEM hoses to accommodate a lift and additional wheel travel before I'll install purty extended, overpriced stainless hoses.

Back