Quality of brake hoses?

What is the matter with all of you? Why would an SAE stamp necessarily mean anything, and why would it save you anyway? I wasn't born yesterday, were you? Why is OEM, your saviour? . If you truly want proper hoses, more so for now unobtainium parts or weird and wonderful, as I said in another post, go to your local hydraulics supplier. Those people won't be idiots behind a parts-desk, their market is a bottling-plant one side of town, and a fleet of forklifts the other. They don't stock hoses for every crane and jack-hammer in the world, or every roller-shutter, or every car power-steering pump. Instead they spend their days making custom-hoses from stocks of reel upon reel of bare-hose and heaps of fittings. Brake-hoses too.

Brake-hoses are running joke to them. Low-pressure stuff that's a walk-in-the-park.

Hoses would be what they do.They ARE your local hose-supplier. If you're truly concerned about proper brake-hose go to people that run hoses at 10,000psi, pressures that'd make automotive pressures and any "I insist on OEM' etc "I took my brain out" logic look a little tragic. Truly high pressures are bread and butter to them. Beats some goof machine-minder banging out hose-after-hose until Friday. Brake-hose would look like a party balloon at their pressures.. They will be time-served engineers used to working on all mannner of plant; a good local resource you should be making use of.

They'll certainly know how to crimp a piffling brake-hose. And those places are always fun. Look in the book under fork-lifts.

Last edited:
There's another forum which shall remain nameless where the majority seemingly have no problem with tires made in China but do nothing but start threads screaming about a screwdriver made in China.

It really confuses me.....

ANYWAY, on the subject of brake hoses, the Earl's stainless at least used to be total junk. Lots of failures in the offroad world. Crimps are weak and mine blew a hole (in the middle of the length) just standing on the brakes on a trail. But guys buy into the marketing about a firmer pedal because the stainless lines won't swell as much as rubber.

In contrast, I've seen entire solid axles hang from nothing but OEM rubber hoses. I wouldn't want to USE those hoses after that kind of stress, but the point is if properly built OEM rubber lines are tough and are my choice for rockcrawling.

I'll find a way to lower OEM hoses to accommodate a lift and additional wheel travel before I'll install purty extended, overpriced stainless hoses.
Good points. I replaced all my 78 jeep CJ7's brake lines with one of those stainless steel kits probably back in the early 90's. I started getting a leak in the back axle lines at a fitting about a year later. Then a few more years the front wheels started locking up on me due to the front hoses which were actually braided rubber. I replaced everything back to original style and all has been fine even today it brakes w/o issues. I think I might go and replace them again for peace of mind since those are now atleast 20-25yrs old lol

Reactions: D60
Back