Quality of Amsoil OE versus Mobil?

Amsoil is like Avon. Over priced and only sold by private dealers. They do it that way because they can make more money for less oil.

You can get better stuff right down the street at walmart.

I've used OE in my 07 Civic and 98 Camry V6 and UOAs showed that it could do 10k miles if I wanted to push it and run the TBN down to minimum. Wear rates were identical to Mobil 1 EP and M1 AFE.

I think Amsoil OE compares nicely to regular M1.

The XL line is a joke, I'm my opinion. My UOAs didn't show any "BOOST" in additives / performance / TBN retention.

Originally Posted By: endeavor to persevere
Amsoil used to buy their synthetic basestock from Exxon/mobil. The largest producer of PAO basestocks. I'm sure they still do.

Amsoil buys some selected PAO basestocks from ExxonMobil.

Originally Posted By: blackman777
So basically OE is like the old XL7500 line that used to exist. Or Mobil SuperSyn. It's for 7500 miles and no more.

OE = oil drain interval recommendations for many of today’s vehicles extend well beyond the traditional 3,000-mile interval, some up to 12,000 miles with electronic oil monitoring systems.

XL= Formulated for up to 10,000-miles/six month intervals, or longer when recommended in owners’ manuals or indicated by oil monitoring systems.

Unless you want to really extend your OCI then the SS oil might be worth it. As far as the other two, I'd use Mobil 1 AFE, typically on sale for $30-$35 which would include 5 qts and a Mobil 1 filter, or something close to, or equal to it in quality.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Unless you want to really extend your OCI then the SS oil might be worth it. As far as the other two, I'd use Mobil 1 AFE, typically on sale for $30-$35 which would include 5 qts and a Mobil 1 filter, or something close to, or equal to it in quality.

Yep. You really can't beat that deal for 5 qts of M1 with a M1 filter.

i like the Amsoil OE oil, but i prefer M1 simply because i don't have to go out of my way to order it ahead of time. i have to go to Walmart once or twice a week to shop anyway so i choose M1 in this debate. I have to go to the store to buy necessities, and i can pick up oil while im there from 5 or so different brands that are just as good, cost less, and provide me with convenience.

Originally Posted By: blackman777
I've never seen that at walmart. I usually get my M1 oil filters from amazon for $8.

December and January Pep Boys ran 5 qts of Mobil 1 and a Mobil 1 filter for $29.99, which was a great deal. I've seen it anywhere from $29.99 to about $34.99 which isn't bad. I also like the fact that it was the qt. containers. What's also nice about Mobil 1 is someone has it on an oil change special at least half a dozen times a year or more.

well , this is an old discussion, but in my opinion using Amsoil Oe oil in normal OCI will delete any differences between other top oil brands, as long as it carries the needed specs and approvals

well , this is an old discussion, but in my opinion using Amsoil Oe oil in normal OCI will delete any differences between other top oil brands, as long as it carries the needed specs and approvals
Haha at your avatar picture.

As for Amsoil, either go for their SS oils or none at all. Their gear lubes are well respected and touted as well. Hard for me to get a hand on their stuff so I just go for Redline which is just as good IF not better than Amsoil. But "better" is subjective at this point for me.

Haha at your avatar picture.

As for Amsoil, either go for their SS oils or none at all. Their gear lubes are well respected and touted as well. Hard for me to get a hand on their stuff so I just go for Redline which is just as good IF not better than Amsoil. But "better" is subjective at this point for me.
At this point , I disagree , Amsoil SS series with no doubts are good oil, but if you don’t extend your OCI beyond the owner manual recommendation then what the reason for using SS oil!, Amsoil Oe provides the needed protection the engine requires , besides that HC oil easily competes PAO oil as long as you don’t start your engine in below-30 F/-34C.

At this point , I disagree , Amsoil SS series with no doubts are good oil, but if you don’t extend your OCI beyond the owner manual recommendation then what the reason for using SS oil!, Amsoil Oe provides the needed protection the engine requires , besides that HC oil easily competes PAO oil as long as you don’t start your engine in below-30 F/-34C.
Reasons being money to blow and a subjective more so than an objective approach. People are going to buy things based on fact and what makes them feel good and what they are comfortable with in the end of the day.

SS is a great oil for extended drain intervals and those who just want that "extra" peace of "mind" that they are buying the highest grade of Amsoil series. Like I said, I'd only go for their SS line, the OE and XL are matched and even beat in my opinion by over the counter brands you can buy at Walmart and Canadian Tire for half the price. Hell I'd go as far as saying they are even able to match the SS line in some scenarios if not being taken to the full 25,000 mile interval.

Back