Quality filter for 2017 Subaru 2.5 Ltr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Ishmael

The concern is condensation contamination with frequent short trips in cooler weather.

My 2018 Forester has the ability to bring up an oil temperature gauge on the upper screen. You should be able to toggle that to show an oil temperature gauge. That will give you a better idea if you're getting the oil up to temperature on shorter runs.

Originally Posted by geeman789
I'll throw an exotic filter out there ...

Tokyo Roki Co., OEM Mazda: P/N N3R1-14-302 . Subarus used to come from the factory with this brand of filter installed ( still do ... not sure ? )

2010 + Mazda RX-8 oil filter. 20 - 26 psi by-pass ( same as Subaru ), P profile round gasket ( like Subaru OEM ) , same size as stock OEM Subaru blue replacement filter. Very well built, made in Japan, and CHEAP ! Less than $ 10.00 CDN at the dealer.

Looks like I'm not the only one who uses another car maker's filter on a Subaru. I use the 90915-YZZS1 filter from Toyota on my friend's Forester. I get them cheaper than a Wix or Fram at the local dealership and it's the equivalent for the 15208-AA130 filter for the FA20 engines.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4944326/used-toyota-denso-90915-yzzs1

Yeah, most stations in Oklahoma offer Ethanol free fuel. Shell typically has a least one pump dedicated to pure gas.
Thanks for the tip on checking oil temperature via the display, I will do that.

I've used OEM, Wix 57055 and Fram XG7317 in my Forester XT (FA20DIT).

In my experience, Wix and Fram are superior imo and here's why:

- The can on Wix and Fram are thicker and feels sturdier, I actually bent a OEM filter a little while putting it on with my hands and I'm not that strong.

- The ADBV. Since the filter is upright, a quality ADBV is important for the cold starts and the OEM is the only one with a nitril one. Nitril isn't as good as silicone in the cold and hardens over time. Startup was noisier with OEM.

The Mazda is a great choice. Other options include Purolator PBL14615 and Mahle OC1177. We use the Mahle on our 17 OB.

Originally Posted by Ishmael

I installed a Wix oil filter but it was a bit smaller than original ...

Pictured are two WIX / Napa Subaru filters. On the left is the taller 7055 used on the later (2012 + ) cars. On the right is the shorty 7712 used on the earlier cars. Both are quality filters with the Subaru spec. by-pass valve. The taller Napa Gold / WIX 7055 has a base by-pass valve, the smaller Napa Platinum / XP 7712 has a typical dome end by-pass valve. The actual internal filter size is about the same, as the base end by-pass in the 7055 takes up quite a bit of extra room.

A 7055 cut open ... very well built.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5251670/1

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Geeman, in no way is the 7712 close to the 7055 in filter size, with the minute possibility of the 47712 as you have pictured. The regular 7712 has a thread end bypass, and the filter media is by far the smallest I've ever seen. The construction wasn't very good either, as the spacing was very wide, and on mine that 53 Stude cut open the seam was cocked way over (not perpendicular to the ends). The 7055 AFAIK will fit any and every application that calls for a 7712 or PH3593A size (so every EJ, FA, & FB).

Just wanted to point out that since nearly every NAPA Platinum/Wix XP eschews the thread end bypass for a dome end one, the Platinum 47712 is not constructed the same with just the different media. IMO, because of the poor 20micron rating of the Platinum, I pass on them for oil filters now in favor of the Gold, but I do use the Platinum for my 4EATs spin-on trans filters because they'll essentially last forever in that application, and 20u is good enough for trans filtration. Just add magnet
banana2.gif

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo

Geeman, in no way is the 7712 close to the 7055 in filter size, with the minute possibility of the 47712 as you have pictured. The regular 7712 has a thread end bypass, and the filter media is by far the smallest I've ever seen.

As I stated, the filter media can, so to speak, is the same size on the taller 7055 Gold as it is on the shorter 7712 Platinum, because of the space taken up by the thread end by-pass valve in the 7055 Gold. So kind of an apples to oranges comparison. The two filters pictured above have roughly the same size " filter ... " . And, yes, the regular 7712, with the thread end by-pass, has a remarkably small filtering element can. See below:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5141683/napa-gold-7712-cut-open

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back