Quality bargain synthetic blend to quiet an old DOHC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The now-defunct Mobil DriveClean Plus High Mileage 10w40 synthetic blend used to make both me and my car's engine very happy.

It was a ~$2/qt. bargain for its formulation (IIRC, it seemed to be mostly a decent G-III blended with >=~20% PAO?), kept my seals tight as a drum with negligible consumption (amazing for an old FIAT engine nearly as old as me with 124k on the odo!), and kept the DOHC valvetrain quiet and the engine itself running smoooooth throughout the rev range. Of course, almost as soon as I'd discovered it, Mobil stopped making it.

Last two OCIs, I decided to see what all the Chevron Supreme dino fans were hyped up about (being strapped while Checker had a sale+rebates for 49c/qt. helped
wink.gif
), but one OCI with Chevron 20w50 and another with 10w40 have me fed up with all the valvetrain chatter and yearning for the glory days of that smoooooth, quiet, quality, bargain of MDC+ HM 10w40.

Now that all local remaining supplies of my beloved MDC+ HM 10w40 have been depleted, what would y'all suggest I look into next as a replacement comparable in quality, price, and other characteristics? Is Mobil Clean High Mileage 10w40 the "new version" just rebranded with the new Clean family name, or completely different? Would a Delvac 15w40 or other HDEO be worth a shot? Is any Maxlife Synthetic viscosity thick enough to be "like" a good 10w40 (I've read their 10w30 runs thickish)? FIAT twincams are known to have loose clearances and thrive with thicker oils, plus I live in Tucson, so I'll have none of your 5w-this or 0W-that, thx
tongue.gif
(and I'm still somewhat strapped so nothing in the M1/RL/RP echelon for me, either
frown.gif
).

FWIW, my daily-driver is a '79 Lancia Beta Zagato spyder, which has basically the same engine as a FIAT 124/2000 Spider -- a DOHC, 8-valve 4-banger with timing-belt driven cams acting directly on inverted-bucket tappets (ahead of its time, no?
cool.gif
).

[ August 25, 2006, 08:17 AM: Message edited by: Tyson F Nuss ]

Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic 10w30 viscosity = 11.5 cSt @ 100C. Maxlife Synthetic is not available in 10w40. Watch for rebates otherwise it seems to run about $4.50/qt.

Not to sound like a Clyde, but I would try regular Maxlife 10w40. It is a synthetic blend % PAO, 13.9 cSt @ 100C, and best of all can be had free after rebate. My closest Walmart also has about 1/2 pallet left of the 5qt boxes for $7.50. You can't beat $1.50/qt or free with a stick.

Another thick cheap synthetic blend is Mystik JT-8 Synthetic blend. If you have a farm or ranch supply store near you that carries it. I only see it in 2 gallon jugs and 15w40 or 15w50.

Maxlife blend would be my choice for a dino blend
to replace your last blend.

Still big rebates from valvoline for the first OCI and another when you redemn the rebate. I'm putting some in a hla lifter clicky mazda this weekend so if its quieter I'll let you know.

Also still $10.50 or less for a 5 qt box at Walmart. I don't expect to see that price again as the rest of the oils on the shelf headed higher this last two months.

There's a thread nearby concerning a "Duragard Diamond Plate" blend that might be worth a look. It is apparently in the $2/qt range and out of a shall shop in MN.

And of course, there's Schaeffer's 7000, which is well-proven, but a bit more $.

What's wrong with a straight weight conventional 30 during the summer where you live?

i would go with a 15w40 HDEO such as Delo or the Delvac with a high TBN....most of the older carbed engines have high fuel dilution and higher amounts of carbon buildup in the crankcase...

look for CI4+ rated...designed to withstand the rigors of high pressure oil driven injector systems...sounds like you have a worn loose cam system especially when cold before metal expansion....a higher cold temp. vis. HDEO will help here also...a higher vis. on startup will help with choke on rich run fuel washdown of cylinder walls and hold down the ring/wall wear...
Delo 400 has a high level 200 of moly which compares to your old DOA Driveclean Plus HiMil...your engine apparently likes and needs moly

you don't have to worry about cat. killing from high ZDDP levels
don't have to worry about cold winter starts in Tucson...older loose bearing clearance engines do not need a low vis. oil for startup....should be just fine with 15w, the 10w worked well
HDEO's come on sale often because of popularity now....
this is NOT an engine for the new additive weak SM PCMO energy save oils

[ August 26, 2006, 07:42 AM: Message edited by: Steelhead ]

Mix a 15W40 like Delo 400 with a 4W40 or 5W30 to get what you want. I am currently using the Delo 15W40 50-50 with Havoline 5W20 and it really seems to be doing well

I don't see how any chevron delo mix will solve his problem if chevron alone won't in his prior 2 OCI. I use the mix but I get goood results with havoline or chevron car dino too in my car. I am also getting good results with valvoline maxlife blend and am glad valvoline rebated it enough for me to try it this summer.

Any of the major high mileage brands. I've tried them all & I like this order of purchase......
Castrol
Pennzoil
Valvoline

I rate Valvoline last - only because it never decreased consumption. I had no other issues with it.

Have tried Delo 15W40 yet? It is a group II+ base stock and has a good additive package. Look for the Delo that is CI-4Plus rated it has moly in it while the none +4 does not have moly in it. I am woundering though if the Delo will help. Seeing how it use's the same base stock as CHevron Supreme it's additive package may not be enough of a difference to help?

Alright alright, I probably got a little too exited on my first post. I don't want you guys to think that all I think about is Valvoline oil ... and when I go to sleep at night ... have dreams of all the Valvoline bottles neatly stacked on the shelf at the local auto parts store ... and the wonderful aroma of Maxlife ... and ...
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
Have tried Delo 15W40 yet? [...] I am woundering though if the Delo will help. Seeing how it use's the same base stock as CHevron Supreme it's additive package may not be enough of a difference to help?

quote:

Originally posted by m2200b:
I don't see how any chevron delo mix will solve his problem if chevron alone won't in his prior 2 OCI.

Unless... it's a Case of the Missing Moly? (case, jug, whatever!
tongue.gif
)

Come to think of it, I was okay with some Maxlife I'd tried before, but then I discovered the MDC+HM and regarded that as superior. Too bad I seem to have just missed the free Maxlife rebate offer (mebbe there'll be another one soon?)... Guess I'll hafta drag my ace into a Mal*Wart soon, but lately I tend to leave it empty-handed, every single time, having found neither the selection or deep-bargain prices of yore that I went there expecting.
banghead.gif

Oh, and get this: I was at the Perp Boys' and found some MDC+HM 10w40! Alas, it was just two lonely li'l ol' orphan bottles. Their system said they had 16 bottles in stock, which were nowhere to be found. The system also claimed the other PBs in town had a dozen bottles each (!), but those all came up AWOL, as well. The staff thought they prolly all "got sent back" recently and just never got updated in their system.

Hm, "sent back" where? To Mobil? Who'd then do what with it? Re-refine it into new product? Or mebbe it eventually goes into the closeouts supply chain? Hm, mebbe I should start browsing Big Lots more often now...
fruit.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back