quakerstate conventional vs. other conventional

Status
Not open for further replies.
how does qs 5w20 and 5w30 compare to other cnventionals in base oil, add pack, and where does it fall in the viscosity specrum?

144 views and no replys!! I dont really know anything about QS dino as its not really discussed on here and they dont have any data to look at on their website! Is it a good oil???? anyone.....

I never read about QS. I see they have the cheapest synthetic at wallymart in Q Horsepower at 18 bucks but I'm reluctant to try it. Curious as well.

QS doesn't get much love here. Nothing compared to PZ. I'm sure that it's a right up there with its contemporaries in most terms (add pack, base stock, etc).

If the price looks inviting, buy it. I doubt it will disappoint.

The VI seems decent, but not remarkable
21.gif

http://www.pzlqs.com/Docs/GPCDOC_X_cbe_24855_key_140002237082_1C67.pdf

If I ever saw a real deal on it, I'd buy it up for the beater fleet. Anything that I can manage an extended drain on gets Amsoil.

We currently have a ton of it in the Garage from a sale some time ago and have used it in my various cars that we have owned over the years and it has been great.

One engine we tore down due to a cracked head and it was spotless inside. (3K KM OCI - 5K Mile)

No complaints here!
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
If I ever saw a real deal on it, I'd buy it up for the beater fleet. Anything that I can manage an extended drain on gets Amsoil.

If you had a use for 10W-30 you could call the Walmart in Laurel Montana and have them throw the dozen or so 5 quart jugs of Torque Power 10W-30 synthetic they have onto a truck and have it transferred to a closer store. I went in one night and had them call a manager, and I negotiated a deal with them for all the jugs of 5W-30. Their stock computer only showed 3, but they had 9 on a top the shelf that anyone under 6' tall couldn't reach. They were also not marked as being on clearance, even though they were on clearance for $11. They gave me a 10% discount for buying all 9, which made them $9.90 per jug. Cheaper than pretty much any conventional you can find.

Use it with confidence. My Mazda is currently filled with QS 5w20. Not sure if it's their blend or straight dino. Was a dealer oil change. Car runs excellent and I feel good.

I've concluded....oil is oil.

Check out some of the other members' engine pics. I didn't realize a 200,000 mile "dino oil" engine could be clean enough to eat off of.

Last edited:
I've been buying jugs of Quakerstate 5w30 for a couple years now at walmart. Hard to beat 10 bucks for a 5 quart jug.

I run it up to 4500-5000 miles in my ecotec cars and call it a day.

Paired up with my 1.50 amazon.com discounted filters from a promo a year ago, I'm out the door under 12 bucks for an oil change.

hmmm well maybe I shouldent use it if the only people that use it only do because its cheap! Is it better than mobil clean 5000?? thats cheaper. Is castrol gtx better than quakerstate?

am I correct in saying then that dino oil rank like this

1.pennz yb
2.castrol gtx
3.quakerstate
4.mobil clean 5000

I know there is many other oils but is that how you guys would rank the ones I have listed?

Originally Posted By: ryland
Is it better than mobil clean 5000?? thats cheaper. Is castrol gtx better than quakerstate?

Is Chevron gas better than Shell gas? What about Exxon?

Which is it? lol.

Is Bud Light better than Miller Lite?

Ford or Chevy?

Google or Yahoo? doh!

Is Bud Light better than Miller Lite?

No!! I only put Miller Lite in my crankcase. My engine runs much better!!!

Been using Quaker State 10w40 in one of our oil burning VW Jettas. It has ~120k miles on it and I've been using it for the last few oil changes. With the 10w40 it burns/leaks a lot less oil. I use it for 3,000 mile oil changes.

Most folks regard QS dino as a very good oil for 3,000 miles as it doesn't seem to be an oil for long drain intervals yet it produces excellent wear numbers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gonzo
If your o.k.with Shell dino then Quaker State is fine too.
Exactly. It's SM rated, the price is right, and you can use it with confidence.

Just did an oil change today using the 5w20 weight in a Honda Civic. Planning on a 5k/6mon OCI.

Just follow StevieC's signature, pretty tough to go wrong.

Family runs it-no issues at all. Kept my Cav wagon kicking for well over 100k with no issues....

Running PP in the Cobalt in an upcoming oil change, but would be just fine running the quaker state synthetic too. And if the prices stays around 18 bucks, I might.

Originally Posted By: gonzo
If your o.k.with Shell dino then Quaker State is fine too.

Just curious,what did you mean by that?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back