quaker state

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Fordhead...I'm guessing the reason why your thread has been "hanging" by itself is because it is pretty hard to make generalizations about all the many oils one company makes.

Since companies make many formulations (synth, blend, clunker formula, 4x4?, etc...) and many weights, company "Z" can make one really "good" oil along with a couple of "average" oils.
dunno.gif

I would search the Used Oil Analysis area for Quaker State. That should give you some idea about their oils. Also, if you mention a certain type and weight that you might have in mind from QS, you might get a couple more bites!!
fruit.gif

all the name brand oils make several different formulas, I just want to know what some opinions are of quaker state in general.

Funny how the second best selling brand has gotten relatively little play on these boards. My answer, based on little real evidence, would put it a step behind Pennzoil, and a bit above SuperTech, Shell and Wolf's Head in the Shell/PZ/QS family. Maybe Castrol territory-- slightly better than Valvoline among the big 4 sellers.

I don't think we have too many UOAs on Quaker State at all here. It just doesn't seem like an oil that is talked about very much. Strange since it fills up the shelves of most oil aisles.

quote:

Originally posted by fordhead:
If nobody uses quaker state how is it one of the biggest selling oils?

Maybe it's not that nobody uses it, it's just that nobody who posts on here uses it.

Probably because the vast majority of have-the-local-mechanic-or-dealer or the do-it-yourselfer oil buyers aren't even aware of this board, let alone frequent it. Remember - we're a unique breed (aka, "Fussy People Easily Entertained"). Seriously, I believe among the general population, the Quaker State name still garners a lot of respect. Many grew up always reaching for an oil can boasting a Pennsylvania Grade Crude Association licensing number as proof of pedigree. (This was when both Pennzoil and Quaker State oils were still separate companies, still blended and bottled in the keystone state, and the API seal was a johnny-come-lately.) I'm not unconvinced, either, that Pennzoil might be in the process of upgrading their Quaker State brand product's quality, either, now that Group-II+ and Group-III base stocks are more readily available.

I have used Quaker State since 1978.I've had no problems using it,nor have I had any engine failures or problems.I now use SuperTech,as I found out it's Quaker State as well,just cheaper.For some stupid reasons,Quaker State is not a popular oil here in the south with older folks due to it "sludges up" "has wax that will clog the engine" "has no detergent" "breaks down" and so on. My favorite Quaker State product was their racing oil,it was very good,but they quit marketing it.I use it in my race engines as well,although I broke in my new 440 on Mobil dino because the Wally Mart was out of 10w40 at the time.

quote:

Originally posted by Chris 2421:
I have used Quaker State since 1978.I've had no problems using it,nor have I had any engine failures or problems.I now use SuperTech,as I found out it's Quaker State as well,just cheaper.

It's made by a subsidiary of Quaker State, but it's not identical to Quaker State oil though.

The general consensus a few months ago here was that PZ had a better additive package than QS. Those who change their oil every 3-4K would probably see no practical difference. I'd still choose PZ before QS, but that's just me. And just to complicate things a little more: recent TV ads seem to claim QS has been "improved",
gr_eek2.gif
so we may need a new VOA to shed more light on this subject.

Ain't nuthin' picky about us!
grin.gif

Actually it's a deep seeded hate for the Quakers of hundreds of years ago that prevents people form using it!
shocked.gif
offtopic.gif

I used to run their 4X4 blend and was quite happy with it.

Anything a religious organization makes MUST be good by Federal law
lol.gif

HInk

[ April 22, 2003, 05:53 PM: Message edited by: Redbird ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back