Quaker State Winter Synthetic Blend oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you guys ever seen this oil??
What makes it better than 'regular' GF-4 SM rated dino oils ?
dunno.gif

http://www.quakerstate.com/pages/products/winteroil.asp

We sold a bunch of that stuff when I worked at a Jiffy Lube a few years ago.

Its just supposed to have better cold flow abilities, but I don't know whether it is that special or if it is a marketing scheme to make it seem like a specialty oil and be more appealing.

Cripes, look at the data sheet.; nothing has better CCS and MRV specs in 5w-30 and 10w-30 than this oil. It ain't no gimmick, and if I lived somewhere where it gets BRUTAL cold, I'd for sure try and find this stuff.

They sell it all year round up here at Canadian Tire. Never tried it but I agree the cold specs are impressive. Plus there's just something darn cool about a sky blue bottle.

I have seen this oil being sold anually about this time of year as winter is arriving. Have noticed the oil over the past 2-3 years.

Do not use Quaker State Oil it will gum up your engine. I worked at a junk yard and you couild always tell the people that used Quaker State oil.
laugh.gif

I used it once on my old Honda Accord. The engine didn't seem to like the oil, it was either leaking or burning a lot of it. A quart a week IIRC. I changed it out for some Maxlife 5w30 and the oil usage nearly stopped.

My understanding is that it contained some more synthetic basestocks to aid cold weather starting.

What really amazed me is that I live in Florida, yet sometimes I see that stuff at Sears and Big Lots. I don't understand why somebody would want to sell a product that makes special claims for cold weather use here.

Quote:

gary is either kidding or he is a dumbazz

I'm not kidding. I'm head oil change man at Walmart and I know my stuff. Been here at Wally world for 3 years. Before that I was employed at Jiffy Lube worked my way up to assistant oil change mechanic. Was at Jiffy Lube for 8 years.

That's my credentials... So I know what I'm talking about.

gary - When you see a sludged up engine at a junkyard, how do you know what oil was used in it for it's lifetime?

Most engine sludge is caused by neglecting oil changes and bad PCV systems, BTW.

Quote:

gary - When you see a sludged up engine at a junkyard, how do you know what oil was used in it for it's lifetime?

Most engine sludge is caused by neglecting oil changes and bad PCV systems, BTW.

Before Walmart and Jiffy Lube I worked at Fat Al's Scrap Yard for 10 years. I always asked what oil the customer used before we took the car.

Hopefully gary get off this forum for his own good

If you keep posting that ---- I dont know what this board will do to you, we stand our ground.
deadhorse.gif
nono.gif

I've thought about using this oil, but for about the same price (or better, if you go to a distribution center), you can get Petro Canada synthetic in either 0W-30 or 5W-30; and both of them have better numbers than this product. Last time I checked (about a year ago) 'Artic 0W-30' was about $4.30/litre.....this stuff is regularly $5.49....just an FYI....

Quote:

I've thought about using this oil, but for about the same price (or better, if you go to a distribution center), you can get Petro Canada synthetic in either 0W-30 or 5W-30; and both of them have better numbers than this product. Last time I checked (about a year ago) 'Artic 0W-30' was about $4.30/litre.....this stuff is regularly $5.49....just an FYI....

FWIW The QS is on for $2.74/L or 50% off this week at CTC.
canada.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back