Quaker State WINTER syn blend - new oil on the market

Status
Not open for further replies.
with such a snazzy bottle it will just fly off the shelves!
grin.gif

well I sent Quaker State an Email for the specs on this winter blend. I'll post the reply once I get it.

I just saw the video of the winter blend being poured at -35. Wow! That is impressive. It is on the Quaker State web site.

Here's the response I got from a friend at PennZoil/Quaker State
quote:

Mark:

They should be posting the spec sheet soon, but I will try to answer your questions. For what this oil was designed to do, it will flow better than 5W30 Pennzoil in very cold temps. It will flow better than most oils at very cold temps, including Mobil 1. Here is basically what it is.

It is a synthetic blend (Group II+ & Group III)that is loaded with poor point additives. Here are the cold temp properties.

Pour Point in Centigrade
QS Conventional -36
QS Winter -45
Mobil 1 -45

Pumpability @ -35c, in centiPoise (cP)
QS Conventional 36,100
QS Winter 7,800
Mobil 1 10,700

Bottom line, it pumps better than Mobil 1 in extreme cold.

Follow-up response:
quote:

Hopefully the QS Winter will be on the shelves soon in your area. I don't know if Wal-Mart is bringing it in or not. I sold 20 truckloads this morning to two large customers that distribute in Wisconsin, Minnesota, and North Dakota. It will be on the shelves up here in about two weeks.

I'll be on a "GC" type of hunt for this stuff!
wink.gif

Mark

I'm going to try it. With Mobil 1 having a pour point of -45f does not sound that good. That is the same as many dino oils.

OK, we know that a blend of GR-II+ and GR-III base oils is not big deal.

What does, "loaded with pour [sic] point additives," mean in terms of lubricating ability, oil resistance to oxidation and shearing and other oil life issues, etc?

This isn't rocket science...is this a meaningful advance or just a marketing gimmick? Does it have any value for someone who does not have to drive regularly in -30°F or below weather? (I doubt it.)

Ken

[ October 02, 2003, 11:15 AM: Message edited by: Ken2 ]

Won't those additives, and they must be substantial to get that pumpability with a group II+ & III, end up as nasty deposits in your oil and engine? Motorcarft 5W-20, which is group II+ & III also, has a pumpability of 18,000@-35*C. Schaeffer's 5W-30 Blend has a pumpability of 26,400 and it's group III & PAO.

Whimsey

quote:

Originally posted by novadude:
What ARE the negative associated with pour point additives?

Anytime you add an additve it will displace something else.

So adding ,say, pour point depressants will mean less of anti- wear, anti-rust, anti foaming etc additives less base lube stock.

No free lunch.
I'd prefer to use a "winter oil" that gets its pumpability from a good base lube stock.

Fred...
smile.gif

They tested this new Quaker State oil in North Datoka, and we all know what winters are like there. But how about if you live in, say, Colorado? It can be very cold in the wintertime for a few days and then it can be warm. How will this new Quaker State oil do in this circumstances? Will it protect at higher temperatures?

They tested it in Fargo and I love across the river. I hope I can buy some in Fargo this winter.

Has anybody seen it in stores or purchased.

"Anytime you add an additve it will displace something else. So, adding pour point depressants will mean less anti-wear, anti-rust, anti-foaming, etc ... additives less base lube stock. No free lunch. I'd prefer to use a 'winter oil' that gets its pumpability from a good base lube stock."

Well said palmerwmd! This is the same theory with real racing oils which go low on detergents to cut down on foaming and allow for a more pure lubricant on metal parts.
smile.gif

I was hoping that this might be a light base oil loaded with some esters to lower the pour point. But nope, it's essentially a decent oil (I don't consider Group III "synthetic") merely loaded with PPDs.

We were talking about cold weather pumpability in another thread here not long ago. A search on "pour point depressants" should turn up the thread. I think it was Too Slick" who told me they break down over time not unlike viscosity index improver.

In short, I think this new QS formula might be fine for modest interval use in the absolute coldest parts of the world where the temps dip below -30F ... but it may not be the best and I wouldn't want to use it in warmer weather.

--- Bror Jace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back