quaker state users raise your hands

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi guys
i have been browsing the archives (bistog)
cannot really figure why all the negativity against quaker state (qs).
i have never had a problem in over 20 years , yes even the old qs
always used dinos , oil and filter every 3000mi/5000km
i have had
1975 olds cutlass 260 cu in.
214000 km
1981 jetta 1.6 litre 4cyl
187000 km
1990 bonneville sse 3.8 litre v6
245000 km
1996 chrysler voyager 3.3 litre v6
151000 km still have it
2003 honda accord 3.0 litre v6
51500 km this is my ride

mind you the diet has not been 100% qs i have ventured into castrol ,pennzoil,valvoline,
but qs has been a main course ,
how about anybody else out there ,let's here some qs positive stories .

155k on Quaker State here! My wife's parents bought her '90 Sunbird when she was in college. The car was only a year old then,and it's had nothing but QS in it. It's mostly beeen 5w30. I switched to QS High Mileage last year.

It doesn't use any oil either! I use it for my work car mainly, but I have no qualms about making a long trip in it either.

I would suggest that the negativity is often age related. That is to say, how old the user of QS is in relationship to his experience with it, even though "this is now, and that was then." An oils reputation earned or unearned are hard to shake and let go of. Even though I know that the crude oil QS is sourced from and refinery methods of today are entirely different, I still have bitter memories of two sludged engines that I personally owned and maintained (properly) years ago. Both engines were lubed exclusively with QS so the culprit was known.

The fact that those engines were sluged at least 25+ years ago has done little to encourage me to return to using QS today. There are oils available that are better, or at least just as good as modern QS and I am just as happy with them. In the past 20 years, if QS did or does not sluge now is beyond my direct knowledge, but I did see what I saw gooped up in both oil sumps back then! Truth be told, probably a lot of other motor oils of those days were just as bad! To my thinking, consider the QS negativity as just part of the ongoing "oil wars" and long memories, and use it if you like it.

A long time ago I was going to try QS. They had an extended warranty program, if you used their oil from the start. The hook was that you had to have a quicky lube or shop do the oil changes. I even talked to someone at QS about getting the warranty while changing my own oil changes. I was told that they did not trust owners to do their own changes, that there would not be enough proof, even with receipts. He said that a quick lube place had expertise that the car owner did not have and could be trusted to do the job right. I have taken his advise and have never used their products in my cars or our engine development programs. None of our customers have moved up to the expertise of a quick lube and we have all suffered through trying to manage oil changes with our own efforts. I imagine that QS oil performs very well, knowing that the oil is getting changed by well trained experts in the field of lubrication technology and application.

A question. Are QS and Pennziol the same oil? And are these products of the same quality and solid reputation, as their Slick 50? And, can we look forward to other products joining the group?

LarryL
Member # 5056

posted 24 December, 2005 05:41
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A long time ago I was going to try QS. They had an extended warranty program, if you used their oil from the start. The hook was that you had to have a quicky lube or shop do the oil changes. I even talked to someone at QS about getting the warranty while changing my own oil changes. I was told that they did not trust owners to do their own changes, that there would not be enough proof, even with receipts. He said that a quick lube place had expertise that the car owner did not have and could be trusted to do the job right. I have taken his advise and have never used their products in my cars or our engine development programs. None of our customers have moved up to the expertise of a quick lube and we have all suffered through trying to manage oil changes with our own efforts. I imagine that QS oil performs very well, knowing that the oil is getting changed by well trained experts in the field of lubrication technology and application.

A question. Are QS and Pennziol the same oil? And are these products of the same quality and solid reputation, as their Slick 50? And, can we look forward to other products joining the group?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posts: 1111 | From: Vista, CA | Registered: Sep 2004 | IP: Logged |

Larry when was this? You also know that Pennzoil and Quaker State are SOPUS products but there not the same. People say the proof is in the pudding has there been a engine sludged from either one of this oils in the ten years if the OCI was reasonable? Pennzoil has put up some of the best UOA here. Man you never stop with that SLICK 50 stuff. My advice is just dont use it.

I have an 8qts stash of SL Pao blend(Mustang label)QS 10w30 SB I got it for dirt cheap in a Wallys clearance.

However, I haven't used QS before..so I'm not raising my hand.
wink.gif
grin.gif

Larry,
Exactly how long ago was this? If you're referring to the SOPUS program that warranties your engine for 250,000 miles or something provided that you use either PZ or QS, changed at 4mo/4K intervals, the warranty says that the changes can be done anywhere, by the owner or a shop, as long as one provides receipts to prove that the products were used.

"Quaker State guarantees your engine with a 10-year/250,000 mile limited warranty, even if you change your own oil. "

confused.gif

I have 92,000 miles on wife's 2001 Windstar V6 with nothing but QS at 4K/4mo. do-it-myself intervals under QS 10/250 warranty with all receipts. SynBlend in the early miles; FullSyn lately. Upper engine is as spotlessly as day one. So far, so good.

I use QS Peak Performance 5w30 & QS 4X4 synthetic blend 10w30 in my wife's '97 Expedition. I like the oil & the engine looks clean through the oil filler hole.

quote:

racerjk
what do you use in your other vehicles

I'm currently running M1 Ow40 in my LT1 Formula and M1 T&SUV in my wife's GTP.

I'm going to run German Castrol in whichever one needs an oil change first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back