Quaker state ultimate vs high mileage/defy

What would you rather use if changing at 5000 mile intervals? Quaker state high mileage or ultimate durability. Being changed at 5k I'm assuming the synthetic doesn't give any real advantage over the semi synthetic but I could be overlooking something. This is really just about learning

Need more car info.
Type, make, model, milage
2013 Camry 2.5l l4 135000 miles trying to reach 400k lol but like I am really just trying to learn about oil. I couldn't really determine the percentages of the blend looking at the MSDS, maybe someone more educated can

A 0w20 synthetic is what Toyota recommends. How much oil does it consume over an interval?
It doesn't consume any oil at all. I use a 5w30 which it's specd for in other countries. Also the manual says a higher viscosity may be used in extreme conditions.

The more you read on here -- the more insight you will get. I agree with running a 0W20 weight also & Quaker State does make darn good motor oil.

The more you read on here -- the more insight you will get. I agree with running a 0W20 weight also & Quaker State does make darn good motor oil.
I've been reading on here for years just never really bothered making an account

I would use the Advanced Durability High Mileage and save the $5 (that's what walmart.com shows as the price difference) for all the other maintenance items that will be required to get to 400K miles.

I would use the Advanced Durability High Mileage and save the $5 (that's what walmart.com shows as the price difference) for all the other maintenance items that will be required to get to 400K miles.
I didn't know there was an advanced durability high mileage

Did you buy the car new? H ave you changed the trans oil etc ? I doubt the oil choice would make a difference , the air cleaner would be important ,,no intake leaks,

Did you buy the car new? H ave you changed the trans oil etc ? I doubt the oil choice would make a difference , the air cleaner would be important ,,no intake leaks,
Yeah trans fluid was changed in January. Added half bottle of lubegard red. Planning on changing every 20,000

Last edited:
I would run a Synthetic for 10,000 mi or a Conventional/Blend for 5,000 mi OCI.

Right now that would likely be ST Synthetic for $14 for 5 qt at Wally or Shell Rotella Synthetic for $2 a quart if your AAP still has some.

Synthetic at 5,000 mi doesn't gain anything. If it's formulated for longer drains it can cause more aggressive "stripping" on initial fill and actually not do as well. Match the oil to the drain interval you want to run.

This of course assumes you don't have a specialized application.

Disclaimer: The above is simply my opinion after reading various studies (with parts measurements) and looking at analysis on the same engine.

I would run a Synthetic for 10,000 mi or a Conventional/Blend for 5,000 mi OCI.

Right now that would likely be ST Synthetic for $14 for 5 qt at Wally or Shell Rotella Synthetic for $2 a quart if your AAP still has some.

Synthetic at 5,000 mi doesn't gain anything. If it's formulated for longer drains it can cause more aggressive "stripping" on initial fill and actually not do as well. Match the oil to the drain interval you want to run.

This of course assumes you don't have a specialized application.

Disclaimer: The above is simply my opinion after reading various studies (with parts measurements) and looking at analysis on the same engine.
It's just something in my head really. I just can't get over not changing it frequently. 5000 is even a stretch for me although I know what you're saying is true I know oils can go a lot longer. So a conventional or blend is going to protect as well as a synthetic if I change it at a shorter interval?

What would you rather use if changing at 5000 mile intervals? Quaker state high mileage or ultimate durability. Being changed at 5k I'm assuming the synthetic doesn't give any real advantage over the semi synthetic but I could be overlooking something. This is really just about learning

Quaker State high mileage for 5k or less. .

A great oil that is only $14. and change on sale at Home Depot...

Back