Quaker State Ultimate Protection 5W-30

If you account for the fact that different labs tested the samples, that Blackstone doesn't provide the most accurate results, and margin of error... then yes, they're the same.
You would need to prove that. So, with different samples from different labs, all we can conclusively say definitively at this point is that they could be the same but with reasonable doubt, it's not 100%.

You would need to prove that. So, with different samples from different labs, all we can conclusively say definitively at this point is that they could be the same but with reasonable doubt, it's not 100%.
You can't tell the difference between the two using VOAs. One could use FTIR analysis to definitively conclude that they're different.

To make a higher mileage oil, cheaply, living at the edge of absurd marketing claims, and knowing SOPUS, they most likely added more anti oxidants and a dash of ester for seal conditioning. They're not going out of their way for Walmart, you can rest assured of that. However, the DI package is the same between the two.

Remember that time when SOPUS sold Quaker State in those nice Rotella Gas Truck jugs? There many threads and endless pages on this forum with people arguing and wondering if they're the same, and what's special about RTG.

Lastly, if I want an off the shelf long OCI oil, then Mobil 1 is the only brand I trust to go the distance.

You can't tell the difference between the two using VOAs. One could use FTIR analysis to definitively conclude that they're different.

To make a higher mileage oil, cheaply, living at the edge of absurd marketing claims, and knowing SOPUS, they most likely added more anti oxidants and a dash of ester for seal conditioning. They're not going out of their way for Walmart, you can rest assured of that. However, the DI package is the same between the two.

Remember that time when SOPUS sold Quaker State in those nice Rotella Gas Truck jugs? There many threads and endless pages on this forum with people arguing and wondering if they're the same, and what's special about RTG.

Lastly, if I want an off the shelf long OCI oil, then Mobil 1 is the only brand I trust to go the distance.
If even one element/additive/aspect is different, then they’re not the same, so yes, you could tell that from a VOA, assuming the VOAs were properly done from the same lab. Since they’re different labs and one of the labs is fairly inaccurate, one can definitively say that with these tests, we’re unable to say they’re the same so we must logically and factually say they are in fact different.

Valvoline has higher Moly, which is interesting. But it is priced higher typically...
So, if price was equal I would personally choose Valvoline EP. But since its not I have been going with QS.
It's very possible that the QS is also using an organic friction modifier so there's that.

It's very possible that the QS is also using an organic friction modifier so there's that.
Yes there are organic friction modifiers, viscosity modifiers, antioxidant additives, and changes in base oils that are all possible differences that would be difficult to discern from a simple oil analysis.

So, the fact that QSUD looks very similar to QSFS means something, but not enough to say that they are the same exact material.
They are likely close enough where if you weren't trying to push your OCI then it doesn't really matter at all.

Like what?
I don't claim to know the specifics. ;)

I did find some interesting information about different combinations of friction modifiers providing different results in the various lubrication regimes in this Shell patent.

Molybdenum containing friction modifiers are generally expected to perform well in reducing boundary friction and organic friction modifiers are thought to be more effective under mixed conditions.

As can be seen from Table 2, adding 2 wt% fatty diamine salt or monoamine salt alone to Baseline Oil A reduces the friction in the boundary regime slightly, but appears to increase mixed friction. Adding 0.2 wt% (90ppmw)of the organo-molydenum compound alone to Baseline Oil A reduces both the boundary and mixed friction slightly.

Adding a much larger amount of the organo-molybdenum compound (0.9 wt%, 400ppmw) alone leads to reduced boundary and mixed friction, but using an undesirably large amount of molybdenum.

When 0.9 wt% (400 ppmw) of the organo-molybdenum compound is added to Baseline oil A with 0.5 wt% of a monoamine salt (Ethomeen) , friction actually increased both in the boundary and mixed regime, near to the level of Baseline oil A.

However, when the organo-molybdenum compound at a lower level (90ppm, 0.2wt%) is combined with 0.5 wt% of a diamine salt, significant synergistic improvements in both boundary friction and mixed friction are seen.

Back