Quaker State Ultimate - 5w30 - 5,176mi - 09 Lexus ES350

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
His is 10w30 and yours is 5w30. Is the 10w30 from xxx-amount of months ago Dexos approved?

Even if it had the exact same add pack as a Dexos 5W30 oil, the 10W30 can't be Dexos approved as it's not an allowed viscosity grade (but it should be).

Originally Posted By: SR5
His is 10w30 and yours is 5w30. Is the 10w30 from xxx-amount of months ago Dexos approved?

Even if it had the exact same add pack as a Dexos 5W30 oil, the 10W30 can't be Dexos approved as it's not an allowed viscosity grade (but it should be).
That's what I thought and suspected! Now you know Member Rollingpete.

I was confused because OP's first post said 5w30 uoa, and it's not the same as the 5w30 voa I posted.

Then after he posted a pick of the 10w30.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: rollinpete

I was confused because OP's first post said 5w30 uoa, and it's not the same as the 5w30 voa I posted.

21.gif

Sorry for the confusion, fellas. The oil in the UOA is 5w30. I posted a pic of 10w30 because it was the easiest for me to grab from my stash. I wrote that I used this version of QSUD but in 5w30 flavor and outta a 5qt jug but I guess you guys missed that part.

I went and dug out another 5w30 jug, just so we're all on the same page.

Looks like that new Green bottle is most likely a different formula.

Originally Posted By: Artem

21.gif

Sorry for the confusion, fellas. The oil in the UOA is 5w30. I posted a pic of 10w30 because it was the easiest for me to grab from my stash. I wrote that I used this version of QSUD but in 5w30 flavor and outta a 5qt jug but I guess you guys missed that part.

Yours looks to be an older formula, thanks for clearing that up.
thumbsup2.gif

Yep, this older formula of QSUD is definitely a 5k oil in this engine. I wouldn't run it any longer.

21.gif

How old is this jug of oil? I haven't seen the Walmart logo on the oil jugs in years.

I wouldn't consider it too old. I got them maybe last year during a clearance? Can't remember for sure but who knows how long it's been on the store shelf.

Originally Posted By: SR5
Nice dose of Moly at about 200 ppm, but I too was also expecting the TBN of 2.1 to be a bit higher after only ~ 5200 miles.

Certainly the iron wear at 5 ppm is great.

I also expected better results in regards to TBN after only 6 months and 5k miles. This was the first time QSUD went into the block, so perhaps it was cleaning things up from prior oils / deposits and TBN took a hit? The car was purchased used with 116,000 miles or so with unknown prior service history but looks relatively clean through the filler hole.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
QSUD is $20/5 quart oil … and is not made/marketed for long OCI, is it?
5k-7k for that price point? Good oil if you are OK changing about then.

Regardless of the price (although $20 seems like a lot by my oil clearance prices) any oil labeled Full Synthetic should be able to do 10k AT A MINIMUM with TBN to spare. I don't think that's too much to ask.

If Quaker States BEST Ultimate class of synthetic is practically calling it quits after only 5k miles, I'm scared to know how their cheapest regular conventional oil would have looked in this engine after the same interval.
eek.gif

You bought it not me … why would Shell make something that out performs Shell …and they don’t even market PP as long OCI (why don’t we have a ton of 10k~15k+ PP users here) … was it Son of Joe who wrote a post on TBN being derived in different ways … (it’s a number we all hope is relative, but is it)
Too much calcium for a number of today’s engines anyway …

Last edited:
SOPUS produces the best products, in their particular price categories. Best does not mean longest life. Never take your engine oil to the outer limits - not unless your a leaser and don't give a darn about the vehicle's future after turning it-in to the dealer a couple years later.

I have never taken any synthetic beyond 8K or a conventional beyond 4K. But that's me.... a first and last owner of vehicles.

SOPUS produces the best products, in their particular price categories. Best does not mean longest life. Never take your engine oil to the outer limits - not unless your a leaser and don't give a darn about the vehicle's future after turning it-in to the dealer a couple years later.

I have never taken any synthetic beyond 8K or a conventional beyond 4K. But that's me.... a first and last owner of vehicles.

That “best” word again. … Ok, but one of the things you left out of your Royal Dutch Shell advertisement is that oxidation eats into TBN … what else caused it in such a good engine …
Again, QSUD is great for short runs …

The owner just got this Lexus used with I believe 116k miles and unknown history. Could have had long OCIs on who knows what oil and the engine could have had some build up that is being cleaned up, hence the TBN runs low. Just my guess.

Short tripping a V6 will kill the TBN a lot faster than on a small i4 engine. Reason: the V6 has a lot more surface area inside the engine for condensation to occur, so 5K miles @ 2.1 TBN makes sense.

I have no doubt this oil is good for 8-10k miles when driven mostly highway.

Couldn't agree more, but that isn't realistic with today's rush hour traffic even on the highway. Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back