Quaker State UD 5w-30, 9200 miles, 2012 Cruze 1.4T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed the oil in my 2012 1.4 Cruze LT1 this morning. The OLM was showing 29% at 7,400 miles. This is the point I'll be changing it in the future. Thanks for posting the OA. QSUD went in my Cruze.
Your fuel mileage is amazing. No need for a hybrid with that kind of mileage. I've been around 33 mpg with the auto. I'm ok with the fuel mileage considering how we use the car most in suburban traffic.
A little over 13,000 miles and this is the second oil change.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
The 1.4T also is fairly demanding on oil. It pushes 16 PSI stock, and up to 22 with a tune. It rips through the AC Delco dexos1 5w-30 with a terrific additive pack in about 5000 miles. That oil produced some very good extended UOA's in a 1.8l naturally aspirated Cruze.

Keep in mind that having a tiny by American standards turbocharged engine pushing lots of boost will be harder on oil than a naturally aspirated engine. So an oil that works well in a NA application might not be able to run as long in a turbo application, especially this application.

What do you gents think about using Mobil 1 0w40 in this 1.4T (after warranty of course)? Do you think the slightly heavier viscosity would be helpful with the turbo?
I'm thinking that this (Opel designed) engine would probably call for 40 wt. in Europe but that GM spec's 5w30 dexos 1 for the sake of uniformity.

Originally Posted By: DCRamsey
This is where I think Blackstone misses the boat. I subscribe to the theory that there is a crossover point where the trend line of the TBN going down intersects the trend line of the TBN going down. This is where the oil should be changed. I am always surprised when I read a report that suggests taking the TBN to 1. I have no dog in this fight, but why in the world would you run oil almost 10,000 mile in a brand new car, especially a turbo? It’s your car, so it’s your decision. I’ve started to believe that there is a point where extending drain intervals is a good idea taken too far. I’ve spent my share of money on UOA’s and I’ve come to the conclusion that, for me, it’s better to spend the money for the analysis on an oil change. Just a thought.

+1

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pbm
Originally Posted By: sciphi
The 1.4T also is fairly demanding on oil. It pushes 16 PSI stock, and up to 22 with a tune. It rips through the AC Delco dexos1 5w-30 with a terrific additive pack in about 5000 miles. That oil produced some very good extended UOA's in a 1.8l naturally aspirated Cruze.

Keep in mind that having a tiny by American standards turbocharged engine pushing lots of boost will be harder on oil than a naturally aspirated engine. So an oil that works well in a NA application might not be able to run as long in a turbo application, especially this application.

What do you gents think about using Mobil 1 0w40 in this 1.4T (after warranty of course)? Do you think the slightly heavier viscosity would be helpful with the turbo?
I'm thinking that this (Opel designed) engine would probably call for 40 wt. in Europe but that GM spec's 5w30 dexos 1 for the sake of uniformity.

Great idea..I was going to suggest that too... you can prob pick up M1 0W-40 at just a shade over what QSUD costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back