Quaker State UD 5w-30, 9200 miles, 2012 Cruze 1.4T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Results of a 9200 mile run on Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5w-30 (SN and dexos1) in my 2012 Cruze's 1.4 turbo engine. Driving was mostly long highway runs at or below the posted speed limits. I got the sample from my MityVac's dipstick tube mid oil change.

My previous UOA on QSUD done back in January is posted in the right-hand column. Wear metals are still high, but steady. The viscosity is a little worrisome. It looks like this engine will go 8k miles on this oil completely safely, but 9k miles is pushing the envelope just a hair. Blackstone stated an 11k mile run could be done. If the oil life monitor permits...

Code:
OIL Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5w-30 SN

MILES IN USE 9212 7071

MILES 19,443 ~10k

SAMPLE TAKEN 5/5/12 1/11/12

ALUMINUM 11 11

CHROMIUM 0 1

IRON 23 27

COPPER 6 19

LEAD 2 2

TIN 0 1

MOLYBDENUM 30 45

NICKEL 0 1

MANGANESE 1 1

SILVER 0 0

TITANIUM 0 0

POTASSIUM 2 0

BORON 97 9

SILICON 6 10

SODIUM 6 6

CALCIUM 1309 1947

MAGNESIUM 27 116

PHOSPHORUS 628 678

ZINC 485 652

BARIUM 0 0

INSOLUBLES 0.3 0.3

WATER 0 0

FLASHPOINT ºF 385 410

SUS VIS 210ºF 51.4 56.6

cSt @ 212ºF 7.69 9.24

TBN 1.5 2.7

Thoughts?

Are those Ca and Zn numbers correct? Well even thought it sheared down alot, it still did well.

Well, considering those 1.4 turbos eat the oil alive, it looks like the QSUD is holding up pretty well.

Since this is on mostly highway driving, I'm curious to see what a UOA would look like with the 1.4 with milage this close.

My thought is with more of a city mix, this oil would do 6-7k.

Are you running QSUD again?

Wear metals look reasonable on what is still young engine.
They are trending down, always a good sign.
This oil appears to have considerable fuel dilution, based upon the visc seen in this UOA, as well as flash point.
I'd stay with 7-8K OCIs, and maybe try another UOA around 40K, just to see where things have settled out after break-in is over.
I would not run beyond the 9K you've done here, without regard to the OLM.
I don't think the oil is the problem.
I think it's the engine and its fuel map.

To answer questions:

1. Oil life monitor was at 10% at the time of the change.
2. Yes, I am using QSUD again. I'll let the OLM go to 15% and change the oil. That will be about 8200-8500 miles, or a safe margin.

This engine uses the turbo a lot. It's constantly in and out of boost, even at less than 1500 RPM. If I step on it at 1500 RPM, it'll still make 6-7 PSI of boost.

I think I might give a more expensive oil like Mobil 1 or M1 EP a shot after this oil change. Although it's the same monetary cost to change QSUD at 8000 miles and 20% OLM than M1 EP at 0% OLM.

You're assuming that a more costly oil will perform better in this engine.
I doubt it, based upon the PDSs for QSUD and M1 of any flavor in the 5W-30 grade.
Still, you could try the M1, UOA it, and see what happens.
Let's say that I'm right, and that this engine simply has a rich fuel map.
An ester basestock oil might help.
No flavor of M1 is likely to.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Wear metals look reasonable on what is still young engine.
They are trending down, always a good sign.
This oil appears to have considerable fuel dilution, based upon the visc seen in this UOA, as well as flash point.
I'd stay with 7-8K OCIs, and maybe try another UOA around 40K, just to see where things have settled out after break-in is over.
I would not run beyond the 9K you've done here, without regard to the OLM.
I don't think the oil is the problem.
I think it's the engine and its fuel map.

+1.

I'm not sold on these low Ca oils going over 10k miles.

Originally Posted By: Slick17601
There's no way the calcium number is correct. I'm losing faith in Blackstone.

Both the Ca and Zn numbers are way off...I'm not sure these results are accurate.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
I'm thinking I like this oil less and less.

I'm thinking I like Blackstone's reports less and less. That zinc number is totally off the wall. If it were true, this oil likely wouldn't meet SN/GF-5 standards, or any modern standards.

If I were working at Blackstone and compiled a report on any API rated oil from 1970 to the present and saw under 500 ppm of zinc, I'd be questioning the result, not inputting it immediately into a report and sending it off without question.

Any reason why zinc would drop so much, besides lab error or the engine beating up the oil?

Regardless, based on the viscosity alone, 9200 miles on this oil in this engine is too long. Only by a hair, but too long nonetheless. TBN being under 2 also gives me pause.

There are aftermarket tunes available. One of those might lean out the engine after some fine-tuning.

Originally Posted By: Garak

I'm thinking I like Blackstone's reports less and less. That zinc number is totally off the wall. If it were true, this oil likely wouldn't meet SN/GF-5 standards, or any modern standards.

If I were working at Blackstone and compiled a report on any API rated oil from 1970 to the present and saw under 500 ppm of zinc, I'd be questioning the result, not inputting it immediately into a report and sending it off without question.

I agree. And a 5W-30 synthetic shearing down to 7.69 cSt? I'm very skeptical of that kind of shearing in an auto engine. Maybe in a motorcycle where the transmission shares the same oil as the engine, but I don't think an auto engine shouldn't shear oil like that.

I'm not sure M1 EP will get much farther on that engine.

While I think it will last longer, I'm not as sure about the protection, on a turbo'd engine.

Plain ol' M1 should do. I think it will outlast the QSUD, but not by much. JMO though....

This engine is tearing up the oil. I would just continue to current maintenance routine of 8-9K OCI's with the QSUD wear is treading down I do not look at shearing as a bad thing as long as wear is good and it is. Changing the oil at 10% of the OLM is giving you enough insurance and I believe that if it was down to 0% although you would be pushing the limits of this particular PCMO it still would of produced acceptable results. Just continue on with QSUD for another run is what I would do. But this is your car and you can use what engine oil you prefer.

And this is why we do UOA's. It looks like the OLM is a bit optimistic for my engine, this oil, and my driving. That's definitely good to know, as I'll adjust my maintenance plan accordingly.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
And this is why we do UOA's. It looks like the OLM is a bit optimistic for my engine, this oil, and my driving. That's definitely good to know, as I'll adjust my maintenance plan accordingly.

Bingo
thumbsup2.gif

I'd give the EP a shot too, just to see if it holds up any better in terms of TBN and Visc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back