Quaker State Synthetic, oil life in Volvo I5 motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hal

Namely the Q-Torquepower since that's what I have, but info on the Q-Horsepower would be interesting to know, also, since it's a good deal and I might buy it when my oil stash runs low.

I have searched way back for UOA's on this oil, and it seems that either the amount of miles people put on it is either in the 5-6k mile range or a little higher, but the oil tends to be spent at those mileages. Maybe those getting that mileage have motors that are hard on oil? Because it seems that, being a synthetic, you could run it for 7-8k atleast.

I am about to send off for a UOA on Valvoline Maxlife 5w30, in above stated engine, 5500mi of service on the oil (that number may be a little off, I have the correct # written down somewhere). I have run this oil for this period in the past, and longer on some other cars I've had. Owners manual recommends 7500mi oil changes, however I can't seem to bring myself to stretch it that far with a blend. So, I guess that was sorta my point of trying the Q synth oils- hoping to be able to run it 7500mi, plus it was on clearance. Does anyone know how hard the Volvo 20-valve I5's are on oil? And does anyone think Q-HP/TP would last 7500mi?

Any information would be much appreciated!

Last edited:
i guess its just the UOA data for the oil is a little hard to come by

non-turbo. i drive it pretty easy most of the time (under 3500-4000rpm 90% of the time)

looks like based on your UOA's I may be changing it around the right time. Oh and the actual mileage on the maxlife in mine was 5937mi.

btw im not that good at reading these UOA's except for the TBN part

Uh...why not run the QTP 5000 and do a uoa and see what you have left? Blackstone will tell you in their summary if you can go 7500 if you ask on the submission form. Besides, other peoples UOA's are really meaningless to your individual style of driving, engine, weather, fuel etc. Way too many variables.

i wouldn't use someone else's UOA as a basis for my own car, more just looking for a point of reference. i said "may be changing it around the right time". i'm still getting the maxlife UOA (sending it off today, actually).

5000 on the QTP would be less than i ran the maxlife for, though. i just want to know if anyone has experience running it longer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back