Quaker State® SUPER BLEND: The intelligent oil™

Check out this bottle of Quaker State SUPER BLEND from the 1990s. "The intelligent oil." Not sure if the oil is intelligent, but the bottle has an ingenious vented neck design for smooth pouring. There's a friendly congratulatory message from the Chairman/President/CEO, Herb Baum, on the back of the bottle. Mr. Baum want's the purchaser to feel good about having purchased one of the "finest motor oils in the world." The bottle also has instructions to avoid polluting, return used oil to a collection center, and recycle the bottle. Quaker State was headquartered in Oil City, PA at the time.
oil.jpg

Q™
Quaker State®
The intelligent oil™
FOR LONGER ENGINE LIFE
SUPER BLEND®
SAE 10W-30

AMERICAN PETROLEUM INSTITUTE
CERTIFIED
FOR GASOLINE ENGINES

MOTOR OIL
API SERVICE SH,SG/CC,CD
1 qt./946 mL

QUAKER STATE®
The intelligent oil™
FOR LONGER ENGINE LIFE
Dear Valued Customer:
Congratulations! You have just purchased one of the finest motor oils in the world. With our advanced formula, no other conventional oil keeps your engine protected better or longer against wear and tear, heat, or friction. By using Quaker State and changing your oil properly, you can make your engine last longer. Thank you for using Quaker State.
Herb Baum
Chairman, President, and Chief Executive Officer

Exceeds North American warranty requirements for U.S., European and Japanese cars and light trucks--GASOLINE, DIESEL and TURBO CHARGED. Passes CCMC engine tests and JAPANESE valve train wear test. Check owner's manual for proper SAE grade and oil change intervals.

API SERVICE SH/CD
ENERGY CONSERVING II
SAE 10W-30

SAE 10W-30
API SERVICE
SH,SG/CC,CD
MADE IN U.S.A.
DON'T POLLUTE
CONSERVE RESOURCES
RETURN USED OIL TO COLLECTION CENTER
RETURN BOTTLE TO RECYCLING CENTER

WARNING: Continuous contact with used motor oil has caused skin cancer in animal tests. Avoid prolonged contact. Wash skin with soap and water. Launder or discard soiled clothes.

©1995 QUAKER STATE CORPORATION, OIL CITY, PA 16301

SUPERBLEND® 10W-30

I remember buying metal cans of QS "super blend" 10w30 and "Deluxe" 10w40 in the late 70's. We would stock up when they went on sale for $.50 a quart.

I lost interest in Quaker State after the mergers with PZL and Shell.

Doesn’t look much different than a recent purchase.

Attachments

• ABF02373-7E29-4E78-9D3E-CA0F54E3FC91.jpeg
    ABF02373-7E29-4E78-9D3E-CA0F54E3FC91.jpeg
    160.9 KB · Views: 74
Doesn’t look much different than a recent purchase.
Indeed, but the "vented" bottle neck is gone, although that was probably exclusive to quart bottles. I wonder why they got rid of the "SUPER BLEND" name.

Indeed, but the "vented" bottle neck is gone, although that was probably exclusive to quart bottles. I wonder why they got rid of the "SUPER BLEND" name.
The vented bottle was difficult to produce, having a high scrap rate. The same was true of the earlier, semi-round, vented QS bottle. Those defective bottles that made it through QC would be filled, and leak in the box. I was told expense was the reason for the vented bottle being dropped. It's too bad, they were sweet.

DeLuxe, along with Super Blend were traditional QS names that were scrapped sometime in the merger era of 1999-2004. Pennzoil also dropped the Z-7 moniker. When that was done around 1990, the backlash was so alarming that Z-7 was quickly put back on the labels, even though by that time, it no longer had reference to the formula. Nor had it for some time.

Here's a QS vented bottle from the late '80s. Round base, flat sides.

s-l1600.jpg

The vented bottle was difficult to produce, having a high scrap rate. The same was true of the earlier, semi-round, vented QS bottle. Those defective bottles that made it through QC would be filled, and leak in the box. I was told expense was the reason for the vented bottle being dropped. It's too bad, they were sweet.

DeLuxe, along with Super Blend were traditional QS names that were scrapped sometime in the merger era of 1999-2004. Pennzoil also dropped the Z-7 moniker. When that was done around 1990, the backlash was so alarming that Z-7 was quickly put back on the labels, even though by that time, it no longer had reference to the formula. Nor had it for some time.

View attachment 31150
I remember using this oil for vehicle that used oil. Cheapest at the time

It was always the liquid ball-bearings ® ....
:LOL: That was Pennzoil's cringeworthy slogan 25ish years ago. Thankfully short-lived. I'd hoped everyone had forgotten it by now. You have no idea how it is to be taunted by those words every day for months!

Check out this bottle of Quaker State SUPER BLEND from the 1990s. "The intelligent oil." Not sure if the oil is intelligent, but the bottle has an ingenious vented neck design for smooth pouring. There's a friendly congratulatory message from the Chairman/President/CEO, Herb Baum, on the back of the bottle. Mr. Baum want's the purchaser to feel good about having purchased one of the "finest motor oils in the world." The bottle also has instructions to avoid polluting, return used oil to a collection center, and recycle the bottle. Quaker State was headquartered in Oil City, PA at the time.
View attachment 31060
My Dad ran this oil in his 95 Chevy Lumina good clean somewhat clear oil if I remember

I think back then quart bottles was all we had. I don't remember seeing 5 quart jugs till the early 2000's when Walmart was the only store that had them, and they all had the Walmart logo stamped on them.

View attachment 31150
I remember using these but I thought they were green, was the white just for HD?

Back