Quaker State or Valvoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
At Schucks they have valvoline and Quaker state both on sale right now(dino). I know both are not really recommended oils but if you were going to buy one which one would you go for?

Hey I just seen them in the recent Kragen ad paper, usually see both of them on sale often. If I were to choose between the two, I would pick Valvoline. After coupon and rebate, the Valvoline cost a bit more so maybe better. It says that ASE mechanics use it in their own vehicles too. Well thats not the only reason, just that its name brand at reasonably priced.

It's a no brainer...........go Quaker State.
patriot.gif

Why not pick up Chevron or Havoline? They are supposedly better oils and already cheap.

-T

Two months ago, I'd say QS. But UOA's have been looking really good lately for Valvoline. I think they may have started tweaking their formula's to get ready for the new SM requirements.

quote:

Originally posted by Starbreaker666:
Easy pic....Valvoline.

Ive read UOA's of Valvoline that said it was nothing special and that the weight sheared down over time, similar to Formula Shell. I got somf Shell for $.59 after rebate for my old beater car. I just bought a heavier weight 10W40 than I normally buy (5w30). If valvoline is as good as quaker state, let me know, Ill go get some from Pepboys for $.89 a quart.

Based on what I know right now if I had a choice between Valvoline and Quaker State, I would pick Quaker State. I was using Valvoline before I came to this web site but the VOAs and UOAs of Valvoline have not looked all that great. Quaker State has not really been tested all that much by people here, but it is made by the same company that makes Pennzoil and Shell motor oils. And Pennzoil oils have tested really good.

Instead of picking the motor oil on sale, however, how about choosing a motor oil brand and then going with that brand? Maybe the reason the stuff is on sale is because it has been sitting on the shelf forever and is getting old.

If you are going to use a conventional motor oil, Chevron (and Halvoline is probably the same), Pennzoil, and Castrol seem pretty good. How much better these oils may actually be compared to other conventional oils is something I don't know, but they seem to have some amount of higher quality. Pennzoil can be found everywhere-it is the best selling motor oil in the USA. Let us say you decide to go with Pennzoil all the time instead of worrying about what motor oil is on sale. Let us say you pay 1 dollar more a quart for Pennzoil, which may well be better then whatever brand is on sale. 5 dollars more an oil change to help ensure that your engine lasts? The 5 dollars more may be worth it.

quote:

Originally posted by FL-400S:

quote:

Originally posted by Starbreaker666:
Easy pic....Valvoline.

Ive read UOA's of Valvoline that said it was nothing special and that the weight sheared down over time, similar to Formula Shell. I got somf Shell for $.59 after rebate for my old beater car. I just bought a heavier weight 10W40 than I normally buy (5w30). If valvoline is as good as quaker state, let me know, Ill go get some from Pepboys for $.89 a quart.

Is your engine going to self-destruct using Valvoline? No. Are there better oils you can use that cost the same or less? Yes. I'd use Wal-Mart's SuperTech oil (made by Warren Dist.) before I'd use Valvoline. (In fact, I am using the SuperTech Syn Blend in my Olds mini van.) SuperTech oils have a much more robust additive package than Valvoline.

Conventional motor oil I like the best is Chevron. It is very reasonable in price and often on sale. Even when it is not on sale it is often cheaper then Pennzoil or Castrol. Always seems to have good VOAs and UOAs. Only problem is that some people have reported having a hard time finding it. I can find it at Checker Auto Parts Stores and there is a place here that has a huge stock of Chevron motor oils.

If you are going to go with a conventional motor oil, Chevron oil and 25,000 mile engine cleanings using Auto-RX sound pretty good.

quote:

SuperTech oils have a much more robust additive package than Valvoline

Isn't it true the oils with a better basestock require ~less~ additives to perform well? Just a thought, because add levels are often looked at as the benchmark for oils...is that the whole story?
dunno.gif

It was merely a coincidence that I was using Chevron Supreme regularly prior to finding BITOG.
But after reading all the proofs about the superiority of Chevron Group II+, there really is no excuse to use any other dino oil---ever!

quote:

Originally posted by Lubricious:
It was merely a coincidence that I was using Chevron Supreme regularly prior to finding BITOG.
But after reading all the proofs about the superiority of Chevron Group II+, there really is no excuse to use any other dino oil---ever!

Yea, that and the fact you can get it at Checker/Shucks/Kragen for .69 cents per quart withg rebate every Sunday with their newspaper ads. $5 dollar oil changes make me happy
cool.gif

Depends on what you are using them for. If your going to add them to your adult beverage, Valvoline has a nicer aroma and flavor. (Uh, so I had heard back in college days). Good for killing weeds in your lawn as well.

In your car? The Big Q. Old reliable (with Texaco Havoline).

quote:

Originally posted by Audi Junkie:

quote:

SuperTech oils have a much more robust additive package than Valvoline

Isn't it true the oils with a better basestock require ~less~ additives to perform well? Just a thought, because add levels are often looked at as the benchmark for oils...is that the whole story?
dunno.gif

I meant "robust" as in the TYPE of additves used, not the quantity. You look at Valvoline VOAs and you see a little bit of zinc and a little bit of phos and that's it. That's the sum total of your AW/EP package. You look at Chevron, Havoline, Pennzoil, Quaker State, and even SuperTech, and you see not only ZDDP but moly and boron, and in some, overbase levels of calcium, i.e., calcium at levels that indicate it's being used not only as a detergent but as an AW/EP additive, too. With these oils you have four-tier approach to anti-wear and friction reduction. With Valvoline, you've got a one-shot approach: ZDDP.

quote:

Originally posted by Lubricious:

I am not so sure about that, Motorcraft and Phillips Trop Artic Turbo and Mystik will certainly run with it and also Chevron is not available everywhere in the USA .

Goatman ,

The reformulated Exxon Superflo has more zinc than all but the Motorcraft and Mystik mentioned here and good boron and magnesium .

Is it on sale ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back