Quaker State Green bottle question

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello,

I found a sealed 12 pack of quaker state green bottle in the trunk of a wrecked car at the junk yard. I bought the case for 10 bucks.
The oil appears to be made in 2011, the bottom of the quarts says "21MAY12"... Is this oil safe to use? is it expired?...

Must have been a Saturn that crashed,if they kept a full case of oil in the trunk...

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Must have been a Saturn that crashed,if they kept a full case of oil in the trunk...

+1

Oh, and that oil should be safe to use, I don't believe it is expired, I would think that is the date it was made, why do you believe it was made in 2011?

EDIT: Oh now I see.. 2011 is the copy right date, not the manufacturing date.

Last edited:
GTG; that oil is less than 2 years old. Most MFGs state that oil has a normal shelf life of 4-5 years under decent storage conditions.

In what part of California was the junker stored? SoCal would be optimal (fewer freeze/thaw cycles). But really, 2 years should be fine everywhere from Denali to Death Valley.

Absolutely no problem using it. Lots of members here have oil older than that in their stash that they use regularly.

Go to your local Kmart and you'll probably find oil older than that sitting on the shelf for full price.

If automotive fluids are only good for 5 years when unused and sealed, then it doesn't make sense that lifetime fluids exist.

That seriously made me laugh, my neighbor had a real thing for Saturns, they did run good and last a long time, but he always had 2 cases of valvoline ready for use on the garage floor at all times
smile.gif

Yes the oil is safe to use, my pep boys has older stock than that on the shelves.

Last edited:
Good for you!
Less than a buck a quart for a good oil that's less than two years old.
Of course you should use it.
Was the wrecked car a Saturn?

Originally Posted By: Sam2000
If automotive fluids are only good for 5 years when unused and sealed, then it doesn't make sense that lifetime fluids exist.

the manufacturers consider "lifetime" to be 150,000 mi.
and if you read the different maintenance schedules, the fluids are normally "lifetime" on "Schedule A", which is mostly all highway, minimal stop and go, and temps in the san diego range. (if you honestly are Schedule A, you'll probably hit 150k within 5 years)
the "severe" or "Schedule B" (where most folks actually fall), will say to change them @ 60, or 75 k mi. In My experience, anyway...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: snowflake

That seriously made me laugh, my neighbor had a real thing for Saturns, they did run good and last a long time, but he always had 2 cases of valvoline ready for use on the garage floor at all times
smile.gif

Yes the oil is safe to use, my pep boys has older stock than that on the shelves.

The Saturn in my signature has a case of oil in the trunk.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: snowflake

+1 on the local Pepboys.

Mine has Purolators on the shelf made before all the media tearing controversy.

They are in the old blue box and not even labeled "Classic."

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I'm absolutely amazed that a salvage yard employee didn't get to it first.

+1 I bet the guy at the counter was miffed that he didn't find it and keep it for himself.

Thanks for the replies. The wrecked car was a mitsubishi galant. trunk got stuck from the impact in the rear of the car. So i was the first to get to it. i also found a pair of mechanic gloves,some tools and jumper cables,and some baby stuff like diapers and wipes.

danthaman1980: the yard is in san diego california, www.ecoparts.com

2012AccentSE: The oil is API SN.

just regular cheap QS,more than enough for my old eclipse,it currently have cheap conventional walmart super tech 5w-30,so QSGB 10w-30 would be an upgrade i think.

pictures:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back