Quaker State Full Synthetic 5W-50, A3-rated

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by csandste:
Let's have some QS UOA's!

I agree! Especially with the new A3 rated 5w30 or 10w30. Up here I only see the old version of 5w30/10w30 synthetic which is group 3 most likely, and not A3 rated either.

It almost looks like more and more oils show ACEA specs. Could it be that consumers educate themselves more regarding oil?
smile.gif

I've also noticed that the US Castrol Syntec 0W-30 is A3-rated. It even meets VW 502.00/501.01/503.01 and at least one of the MB (229?) specs.

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
It almost looks like more and more oils show ACEA specs. Could it be that consumers educate themselves more regarding oil?
smile.gif

I've also noticed that the US Castrol Syntec 0W-30 is A3-rated. It even meets VW 502.00/501.01/503.01 and at least one of the MB (229?) specs.

There is no US Syntec 0w30 anymore. Those specs listed on the Castrol USA site are for GC 0w30.

Yeah, but watch out ..... that is only the German made 0W-30 Syntec. All US made 0W-30 Syntec does only meet ACEA A1 and is the old GIII stuff.

quote:

smile.gif

No, Castrol Syntec bottles all have black caps. GC is sometimes also called "Red Labe" since they switched to a red viscosity label vs. the old yellow one. However there are still bottles of the old US made Syntec 0W-30 WITH the red label out there before Castrol started putting GC into them.
quote:

I thought the GC had a red cap?
shocked.gif

Okay, but the bottle 0W-30 Castrol Syntec that was A3-rated was all black without any red label. I may have to go back and check if there are any liquified green gummmy bears in the bottle.
wink.gif

The tech data PDF for Quaker State Synthetic oil says that 5W-30 and 10W-30 meet the "engine protection requirements" for ACEA A3-98. It does not say that they are ACEA A3 rated. With that language the HT/HS viscosity might not even be >3.5 cSt as is required to meet ACEA A3.
dunno.gif
The 5W-50 is ACEA A3 rated. Are we really sure that Quaker State Synthetic is a group IV synthetic oil? Are there any current MSDS sheets?

Quaker State synthetic oil PDF. web page

[ December 19, 2003, 02:38 AM: Message edited by: Sin City ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back