quaker state full syn

Status
Not open for further replies.
my local k-mart has sj rated quaker state full synthetic on clearance for $2 per qt. is this stuff ok or would i be better off with a sl rated name brand dino. it's 5w-30 for my wife's villager, nissan 3.3l motor.

Keywest;
Somebody is going to post that QS is not a synthetic, but a group III.
When they do that, ask them to define a synthetic material.

I thought a link posted yesterday pointed to Q.S. as being a PAO....???? Can someone confirm this??? I was thinking of trying the 5-50!!!

All I could get from the link (MSDS) was that it was comprised of...a 1-Decene co-polymer??? Is this a PAO molecule???

quote:

Originally posted by userfriendly:
Keywest;
Somebody is going to post that QS is not a synthetic, but a group III.
When they do that, ask them to define a synthetic material.

Oh userfriendly, you are tempting me, but since I am not POSITIVE it is group III and therefore not a TRUE synthetic, I won't say anything...I wouldn't anyway because then I would be knocking the Syntec line (excepting my beloved GC, of course) and I JUST CAN'T DO THAT!

[ October 15, 2003, 04:10 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

Pscholte;
If GDR Castrol was refined in the Czech Republic by newly up-graded plants, owned by the same people who manufacture Contenantal and Mitas tires (formaly Barum), would the colour still be green and smell like Gummy Bear's basckside?
Or...would we get a Requiem for an Engine Oil, by Wolfgang Amadeus Pscholte?

I would probably find a way to continue to write odes to the odeur and to deny that GC has a Czechered past.
grin.gif

[ October 15, 2003, 04:31 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

quote:

Originally posted by keywest19:
my local k-mart has sj rated quaker state full synthetic on clearance for $2 per qt. is this stuff ok or would i be better off with a sl rated name brand dino. it's 5w-30 for my wife's villager, nissan 3.3l motor.

With the prices on very good group II and II+ oils the way they are at Wal-Mart, I can't see much economic sense in buying an oil SJ oil (unless it is a group IV or V).

But, hey, it's up to you bud
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by userfriendly:
Pscholte;
Ohhh, your good. He comes back with a reference to Beethoven's 9th.
Youu are indeed the master...
I grovel at your feet
worshippy.gif

I must be honest, I did not have Beethoven's 9th in mind...I must have been unwittingly inspired.
rolleyes.gif
I do appreciate your kind words.

I think that QS has switched back and forth between a GIII and a PAO a couple of times. I have seen MSDS sheets pointing both directions. I believe that the current formulation ia a PAO, but I don't know how to tell what formulation you are buying.
rolleyes.gif

Well if the customer can't tell and the engine does not know the difference between a group III and a PAO, what are we going to talk about next?
confused.gif
dunno.gif

I've never seen the QS sheets calling it a group3.
But, at that price, either way, go for it. Just practice a sane maintenance interval.
You could even prove it bad/good with a VOA/UOA if you want.

That last several sheets that I've seen were all PAO. Plus, it seems that the percentage of PAO has increased with the most recent sheet. Funny that I can't find any MSDS on current sibling Pennzoil oil. I guess they are updating.

I always did wonder to what happened with QS Synquest.

Please someone tell me, that GC is refined in the Czech repulbic.

For moral reasons, I wont buy, or use, made by or in the Czech republic.

I'd hate to throw away the GC, I just put in today.

Fred..

[ October 15, 2003, 07:43 PM: Message edited by: palmerwmd ]

palmerwmd,

Rest easy...I DO NOT believe it is blended in the Czech Republic...I believe it is blended at a Castrol facility in Germany just as the bottle says. In addition, if you go review Patman's just posted GC UOA, you definitely won't want to throw it out. Given his LT1 engine and the fact that it has 9 Quarter Mile runs on it, the numbers are fabulous.

quote:

Originally posted by crashz:
$2 a qrt for PAO based QS! I'm there!

Me too. Now I just gotta find some. Grabbed 4 quarts of 10w30(as a flush) since Mobil1 was used for the past 100k+ miles. Will probably change it when I find the 5w30. Not enough kmarts around here anymore.
Need to locate some 5w30 for the winter and then 'UOA it' in the spring.

Quote from Palmerwmd,
For moral reasons, I wont buy, or use, made by or in the Czech republic. /QUOTE]

Palmerwmd, just curious what is wrong with the Czech Republic?

[ October 16, 2003, 05:43 PM: Message edited by: Sin City ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back