Quaker State Deserves Credit for going back to PAO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to point that out.

Many people seem to have disdain for this company.

Whatever QS's reason was this decision is commendable.

I hope the other Grp III "synethetic" shammers catch on here.

quote:

Originally posted by Grease is the word:
Maybe someone can tell them to stop peddling Slick 50....

lol.gif
grin.gif
lol.gif

Hmmm,
When did QS do this?
I spoke with their tech department about two months a go (1/04), and they told me that their Full Synthetic oil was Group 3. Even at that it still puts up some nice numbers.

Good Day,
Steven

Their msds sheets say its a (decene homopolymer) which is a PAO from what I understand..... for all grades except the 5w40 european formula........it just says "synthetic lubricating oil", which could mean just about anything.

I concur with SBC dude,

A)MSDS agrees

B)The new bottles of QS state synthetic with the C5 Vette on the cover.

The bottle I read said "approved on Rouche vehicles" or something.

The ACEA specs point out this must be something other than Group III.

I just looked at the data sheets... PAO or not... it is one of the few oils that you can get in 5W30 and 10W30 with and ACEA A3 certification. (no, neither mobil1 nor castrol syntec have an A3 on these grades).

canada.gif

Yes, as I understand it, QS synthetics were one of the last of the major brands to take the Group III plunge ... and on-line MSDS sheets are notoriously out of date.

Crazy Canuck: "PAO or not ... it is one of the few oils that you can get in 5W30 and 10W30 with and ACEA A3 certification. (no, neither mobil1 nor castrol syntec have an A3 on these grades)."

But that might mean that they were merely the first to put their oils through this certification. Others may pass the test but haven't processed the paperwork and/or printed new labels for their bottles yet.
dunno.gif

The mystery continues ...
confused.gif

--- Bror Jace

Quaker State Full Synthetic 5W-30 and 10W-30 oils do not meet the out dated ACEA A3-98 and B3-98 standards. These oils only meet the engine test protection standards of ACEA A3-98/B3-98.

web page

[ March 23, 2004, 09:37 AM: Message edited by: Sin City ]

I agree with Sin, the description is misleading. The only grade that is truly A3-rated is the 5-50.

And even with the decene listed in the MSDS, it may only be a small amount and may be a group III/IV mix of differing percentages.

quote:

Originally posted by Sin City:
Quaker State Full Synthetic 5W-30 and 10W-30 oils do not meet the out dated ACEA A3-98 and B3-98 standards. These oils only meet the engine test protection standards of ACEA A3-98/B3-98.
web page

And isn't this what really matters ? I'm not that concerned if it meets or not the ACEA fuel economy or maximum phosphorus limits. What I'm really concerned is exactly the engine test protection standards.

Cheers !

canada.gif

I had their 5W-20 in my Accord. After one UOA, I dropped it. Didn't hold up on viscosity nor TBN after only 3K miles.

Crazy, all that means is when these oil companies put in blanket statements like "exceeds VW, BMW, M-B, Porsche" standards, but doesn't say which ones.

Likewise, with the A3 and the 10-30....it sounds like it "meets" them (in their estimation), but was never tested for it and is not labelled as "A3 rated" like the 5-50.

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:

And even with the decene listed in the MSDS, it may only be a small amount and may be a group III/IV mix of differing percentages.

Go to this link , select line 14953 and you will see both that it's listed as 85% PAO and a revision date of 10/2003 . The other 15% is additives .

Their newest 5w-20 appears to be a full PAO formula as well .

This stuffs under 4 bucks a quart...wonder what the additive pack looks like ?

http://www.quakerstate.com/pages/techdata/msds.asp

Hey Schmoe,
Where did you find the QS 5w-20 Synthetic? I haven't seen it anywhere around my area. Did you post the UOA? If not, could you? I had been pretty interested in this oil.
cheers.gif

Hi,

If QS has switched back to PAO, does this mean that Pennzoil has switched back as well? Since they are owned by the same company. Cheers.

rolleyes.gif

I've been saying that the MSDS showed QS Synthetics contained a PAO for months and months. I think this information is at least a year old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back