Quaker State 5-30 and 10-30 pass A3!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Talk about OTC A3's...the PDS's on Q.S.'s website indicate that both the 5-30 and 10-30's pass A3. Does this make them better than M-1...or at least considering??

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
Talk about OTC A3's...the PDS's on Q.S.'s website indicate that both the 5-30 and 10-30's pass A3. Does this make them better than M-1...or at least considering??

I'm sure you're talking about QS synthetic. And I'd be willing to bet it's not A3-02. Probably A3-98. As far as better than Mobil 1, hardly. These are still Group III oils, and the A3 rating (if it is indeed A3-02) only means these oils have a somewhat higher HT/HS rating than the A5 rated Mobil 1.

In other words, this is nothing to get excited about.
wink.gif

Edit: I just checked the data sheet. It is A3-98. A3-98 has been replaced by A3-02, so the fact that this oil meets an outdated spec is meaningless, IMO.

[ February 16, 2003, 07:23 PM: Message edited by: G-Man II ]

Fair enough...perhaps the website hasn't been updated...

So the real question now becomes, how has the A3 changed since `98??

Bottom line is both the Trisyn and now SS 5-30 and 10-30 were NEVER A-3 rated...group III aside...

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
Bottom line is both the Trisyn and now SS 5-30 and 10-30 were NEVER A-3 rated...group III aside...

Well, I actually think the real bottom line is that the only distinguishing spec between A3 and A5 is the HTHS numbers. And as long as Mobil formulates its Xw30 Mobil 1s on the low end of the 30wt range, they're probably never going to be A3 rated.

The most recent QS MSDS for its synthetics (june july 2002) show that they're PAO synthetics.
basestock is 1-decene homopolymer, hydrogenated.

I had noticed many months ago that the Quaker State Synthetic 10W-30 was labeled as meeting the ACEA A3. I looked at all of their products and the 10W-30 was the only one that I noticed. I guess they have recently added the 5W-30. I intend to give the 10W-30 a try. It is priced at less than $4.00 per quart which gives it a 20% price advantage over many other name brand synthetics which makes it very appealing.

quote:

Originally posted by metroplex:
The most recent QS MSDS for its synthetics (june july 2002) show that they're PAO synthetics.
basestock is 1-decene homopolymer, hydrogenated.

Yes, and as Johnny has pointed out several times, the MSDS is wrong. He should know, since he works for Pennzoil-QuakerState.

quote:

Yes, and as Johnny has pointed out several times, the MSDS is wrong. He should know, since he works for Pennzoil-QuakerState.

Someone get their high-powered attorneys, I smell a lawsuit brewing...

A manufacturer is supposed to keep their MSDS accurate.

It's the same as if you wrote an MSDS for sulfuric acid as being "non-toxic, non-corrosive, etc..."
rolleyes.gif

They're either lying, writing inaccurate MSDS's, or they have switched to a PAO for QS Synthetic since July 2002, or whomever works at QS-Pennzoil isn't getting the right info.

A3 means nothing to me anyway. A superior oil with a slightly lower HT/HS would be A5 rated.

I think many mine run oils are jumping on the A3 bandwagon. I don't see it as all that of a superior standard.

Just my 2 cents. A3 get's me about as excited as SL (sorry).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back