Quaker State 0w-20 for 2015 Subaru Crosstrek?

Greeting everyone,

I’m sure this oil and weight has been discussed many times, but I have very little time these days to browse the forums—so my apologies in advance.

Walmart no longer carries the regular ST 0w-20 so I’m thinking of switching over to Quaker State 0w-20 on my Subaru Crosstrek. Oil changes are every 6K miles and I’m easy on the throttle, for the most part.

Any reason why I shouldn’t go with it?

Many thanks!
BAC3BF17-459D-48AA-B6F6-D83118144DFB.jpeg

I'm sure that will work just fine.

I ran 5w-30 in my Crosstrek when I lived in Florida as that was what Subaru specced before changing it to 0w-20. I'm using 0w-40 now that I live in Vermont.

What would make you need to ask of the Quaker state oil was O.K. to use? I wonder why too often.

3 Subarus 2 (2.0L's and 1 2.5L) currently in the household. All call for 0W-20 and all get Quaker State Full Synthetic. But keep it quiet. The best motor oil secret out there still. I've used everything, M1, Valvoline, Castrol, PP, PU, etc. None no better than QSFS; use with confidence.

That’s what I’ve put in my SIL’s 2016 Subaru Legacy the last two oil changes. I know you have the 2.0l and her legacy has the 2.5l, but it should work out about the same, it’ll be perfectly fine. QS is a good oil.

QSFS 0w-20 in and of itself is a fine oil, and meets the spec set in your Subaru's manual.
From what I have found, there have been a lot of people in the Subie crowd (FA20 and FB25) that burn more oil on 20-weights. Granted though, it's probably more rooted in the cleanliness of bottom-spec oils and their solvency. FFT

QSFS 0w-20 in and of itself is a fine oil, and meets the spec set in your Subaru's manual.
From what I have found, there have been a lot of people in the Subie crowd (FA20 and FB25) that burn more oil on 20-weights. Granted though, it's probably more rooted in the cleanliness of bottom-spec oils and their solvency. FFT
It's not the oils, it's the engines

It's not the oils, it's the engines
I dont disagree-- the engine should be adequately designed to run with nil consumption/ no ring stick on the OM's prescribed grade and with an accordingly prescribed OCI, but it doesn't. It's an engine design issue that warranty service (short block replacement) doesn't fix.

Last edited:
I am still in the camp that a 30wt will result in less wear than a 20 wt. I ran a 30 wt in my '19 XV and run it in my '22 Forester.
Many arguments over the years but none that can say my statement is inacccurate.

There is a reason that Subaru's FA Turbo engine requires 30 wt and the unturboed one doesn't.

Greeting everyone,

I’m sure this oil and weight has been discussed many times, but I have very little time these days to browse the forums—so my apologies in advance.

Walmart no longer carries the regular ST 0w-20 so I’m thinking of switching over to Quaker State 0w-20 on my Subaru Crosstrek. Oil changes are every 6K miles and I’m easy on the throttle, for the most part.

Many thanks!View attachment 127522
I been using 0w-20 QSFS in my 18 Forester 2.5 , and 22 Crosstrek 2.5 . No complaints , I buy it at Menards because I can’t stand shopping at Walmart.

Greeting everyone,

Many thanks!View attachment 127522
Nope go for it

Back