QSUD 5W30 in 2.3 Ecoboost

Hello everyone! I recently changed my ‘21 Ford Ranger’s oil and used QSUD 5W30 that I obtained on sale. I paired it with the Motorcraft 910S that is called for on that engine. Having never really heard anything for or against it, how does this oil hold up in ecoboost’s and engines overall? I drive about 75% highway and rarely drive the truck hard (for no special reason). Thanks for your insight and cheers 🍻

Reactions: FZ1
IMHO any quality oil with a 5k or so OCI in the Ecoboost's is the way to go. At least historically from what I've seen over the years. THis form a guy with a 15 5.0 Coyote and very happy with it. Nex F150 would be a 2.7Eco.

Green bottle, good stuff. Have used it many times.

QS.jpg

Since you were getting "free" oil changes at the dealer, at the best you most likely got the Motorcraft 5W-30 synthetic blend oil or worse some generic bulk oil. The Quaker State QSUD 5W-30 will be an improvement.
The bulk they used had a Motorcraft symbol and name on it so I can only assume that’s what it was. Either way, I do agree.

Congrats on the newer truck! QSUD (QSFS) 5W-30 is a great choice. Given it's a turbo-charged GDI engine, please change your oil between 3,000 and 5,000 miles. If you do so -- ignoring your oil life meter -- that engine will live a long, happy life.

BTW, I change the oil in my GM GDI 4-cylinder engine at about 3500 miles -- that's about 50% on its oil life indicator. It's clean as a whistle inside and has going on 170,000 miles on her.

Regular maintenance is the key! Oil is cheap. New engines or turbo-chargers are not.

Congrats on the newer truck! QSUD (QSFS) 5W-30 is a great choice. Given it's a turbo-charged GDI engine, please change your oil between 3,000 and 5,000 miles. If you do so -- ignoring your oil life meter -- that engine will live a long, happy life.

BTW, I change the oil in my GM GDI 4-cylinder engine at about 3500 miles -- that's about 50% on its oil life indicator. It's clean as a whistle inside and has going on 170,000 miles on her.

Regular maintenance is the key! Oil is cheap. New engines or turbo-chargers are not.
Thank you! I actually bought it new, but used those free oil changes until they ran out. Certainly considering going every 5K (change no later than that) since I put on roughly 25K a year 🤮 I try to squeeze 8 years on every vehicle and that way, it boils downs to about .20 a mile which is very acceptable.. especially since by the time I sell it, I still get a nice $5-6K for the vehicle at least.

Thank you! I actually bought it new, but used those free oil changes until they ran out. Certainly considering going every 5K (change no later than that) since I put on roughly 25K a year 🤮 I try to squeeze 8 years on every vehicle and that way, it boils downs to about .20 a mile which is very acceptable.. especially since by the time I sell it, I still get a nice $5-6K for the vehicle at least.
Very good. You'll find that Quaker State Full Synthetic (QSFS) 5W-30 has a higher kinematic viscosity @ 100 deg C (KV100) as compared to most other 5W-30 oils. And, it has a strong add pack.

I cannot think of a bad UOA with this oil as well. Though, please don't extend OCI's with it -- it wasn't designed for that.

Here in Alaska, I've settled on either this QSFS 5W-30 or Costco's Kirkland 5W-30. The settled deciding factors were price, GM's D1G2 cert, and their known winter and summer performances in my stable of GM vehicles -- to include BITOG UOA's and general recommendations of folks I trust here.

I've occasionally used both Mobil and Castrol 0W-40 oils. But they cost more today, and I don't believe they'll gain me anything into the future.

The key to most every ICE vehicle on the road today is timely maintenance. Do this and you're miles ahead of most out there.

Last edited:
You'll be fine with that oil. In fact, I ran it in my 2020 Ranger. Here is a link to a UOA thread I posted.

I was looking at the data sheets for Motorcraft 5W30 Semi Synthetic (Phillips66) which is Fords suggested oil and the data sheet for QS 5W30. Motorcraft is 10.8 cst at 100 degrees C and QS is 11.6.

These data sheets never seem to represent the cst of the actual oil. I find a lot of the time its thinner. I imagine in a turbo direct inject engine you dont want it too thick so as to impact mpg but you dont want it too thin where reliability and noise control comes into doubt.

I will be testing QS and Supertech Advanced 5W30 in the coming weeks/months in my 3.5 L Ecoboost high output 440 hp machine.

Very good. You'll find that Quaker State Full Synthetic (QSFS) 5W-30 has a higher kinematic viscosity @ 100 deg C (KV100) as compared to most other 5W-30 oils. And, it has a strong add pack.

I cannot think of a bad UOA with this oil as well. Though, please don't extend OCI's with it -- it wasn't designed for that.

Here in Alaska, I've settled on either this QSFS 5W-30 or Costco's Kirkland 5W-30. The settled deciding factors were price, GM's D1G2 cert, and their known winter and summer performances in my stable of GM vehicles -- to include BITOG UOA's and general recommendations of folks I trust here.

I've occasionally used both Mobil and Castrol 0W-40 oils. But they cost more today, and I don't believe they'll gain me anything into the future.

The key to most every ICE vehicle on the road today is timely maintenance. Do this and you're miles ahead of most out there.
Do you have a VOA and/or a UOA of QSUD 5W-30? Only reason I ask is that online has nothing bad, nor good to say about it. Either way, for what it costs and my service happening between 4-5K miles, I’m sticking with it!

You'll be fine with that oil. In fact, I ran it in my 2020 Ranger. Here is a link to a UOA thread I posted.
Thank you !

Back